MD - VA - PA - DE - DC - When are you opening?

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I just went out and pulled back the cover a bit and checked my water temperature. It is right around 50 degrees. I plan on opening when the temperature hits about 60. I suspect that will be in early May but could be sooner. We are still getting nighttime freezing temps. This week it will drop to 27.

By opening I mean remove the cover, unplug the lines, turn everything on and get the pool running so I can start balancing for the upcoming season. I don't expect to get in the water until late May.

What is your pool temp and location and plans for opening?

Didn't check water temp, but water is cloudy when I peeled cover back to take a look. Planning to open this weekend or next. No intent to swim just want to get the water right. Did test water and reading 0 chlorine left from closing, PH at 7.2.

I moved and lost the IG but I would be re-installing the equipment right about now and have it running under the loop lock until it warmed up for good.

This morning was 25 degrees at 6AM per the car. Not even close to being able to freeze 40 degree water, but still a hair early to uncover for me.

I am from Ohio so sorry if I hijacked this thread 😀 I open mine about the third week of April. Last year water was 48 degrees. Already peeled back the cover and the water is dirty but clear. Get everything going and add chlorine and start to balance the water. I will heat the water to 65 and get my water ready to swim. Then the first warm days in May I will heat again to 85 and the season begins. Usually swimming the first week. Can’t wait!

I always opened in April. Earlier the better. If it was a cold April, I'd wait til mid April. If it were warmer, usually first week. I will continue this practice when my fiberglass pool is installed in August.

My choices were to open early and have a yellow pool from the pollen for a month, or wait it out and have a green pool from the algae. Either way it was turning a color.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Frederick County, MD here. Going to open the weekend of the April 10th, maybe the weekend after if my 2nd vaccine knocks me back a little. I am generally an April opener - gives me time to have the entire area ready for an early warm up (fingers crossed).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK so who is making arrangements for "Brood X" Cicadas? I am going to use skimmer socks just in case. I know they are stupid and expect to see many in the pool. Hopefully it is not too many to swim lots of squeamish people in this house!

April 16 in NJ.

I like to get things running and fix any problems that crop up. And I can begin using my spa immediately.

I’m opening Saturday. Though with an autocover in use, I don’t have to worry about pollen and my oak catkins. I do scoop them off of the autocover occasionally, or when I open the cover. It gets used by the dogs or silly humans until mid-May. Or just gets looked at if we’re outside relaxing. Probably around 50 now.

Reactions: Casey
I know they are stupid and expect to see many in the pool.
I lived on a heavily wooded acre for 15 years and never saw one. We had a bazillion of them and it was deafening at times, but I never saw one of any of the broods and it seemed like a new one hatched every year.

Looking forward to the cicadas. It’s an exciting time. So unique. I don’t expect to be overwhelmed in our immediate location. Other areas near us are more forested and heavily cicada populated. Last time they weren’t bad and I suspect they won’t be dramatically worse at our house. But the autocover will close as needed. Didn‘t have dogs last time. Looking forward to their reactions.

• Haha
Reactions: Casey
In Central Ohio, I opened the 2nd - 3rd week in April. And yes, the kids usually were in the water that day.

A couple of years ago when I opened, as I pulled the cover back, the kids were begging to get into the pool before I had even hooked the pump up. I told them they had to wait for the ladder. They were splashing around for 15 mins before they had enough. not for me though!

Looking forward to the cicadas. It’s an exciting time. So unique. I don’t expect to be overwhelmed in our immediate location. Other areas near us are more forested and heavily cicada populated. Last time they weren’t bad and I suspect they won’t be dramatically worse at our house. But the autocover will close as needed. Didn‘t have dogs last time. Looking forward to their reactions.
My dogs eat them. They see them as crunchy lil snacks. They eat a 100% raw diet though so it's pretty normal for them.

NY here, usually open first weekend in May.

Will probably open a little earlier as my water is about 55 now and I have about 10 tiles just hanging out at the bottom of the pool. Have a little OCD and I can't stop thinking about picking them out and vacuuming some of the material that went down with them (luckily I already replaced the ones that have fallen).

Forget to drain ONE TIME before a freeze and my tiles decided they have had enough:mad:

My pool was opened yesterday in Ohio. Water temperature was in the 50’s per a thermometer hanging in the skimmer box. We have had multiple days in the 70’s, but right now we are in a cold front. The high today and tomorrow will be in the 30/40’s and low in the 20’s. I am slamming and running the pump during this cold spell. Monday through Thursday next week will be 70’s and low in the 50’s. We are having an early spring and above average temps in my area which pushed me to open a bit early.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.