Maytronics Dolphin Oasis Z5 wont move.

Power unit turns on, but impeller or tracks don't move at all. Tracks and impeller move freely when I spin them by hand. I checked contacts in the blue swivel cord and they look fine. Last week it would turn on, rotate left and right, then go forward for about 20 minutes trying to climb the same wall without reversing or turning around. Powered off unit then back on and it seemed to work fine. Today I turned it on and one side of the track wouldn't rotate so I thought something was tangled in track, took side panel off and everything moved freely. Powered back on and now the whole unit seems like it's dead, the impeller wont even turn on. What would likely be causing this? Motor assembly? Any idea how much it would cost for a tech to come out and fix?

For whatever it's worth the whole unit needs a refresh (tracks, brushes, climbing rings). If I'm looking at ~$400 for a motor, then another ~$200 for the refresh parts I'm thinking I may be better off just getting a new robot. Thoughts?

For whatever it's worth the whole unit needs a refresh (tracks, brushes, climbing rings). If I'm looking at ~$400 for a motor, then another ~$200 for the refresh parts I'm thinking I may be better off just getting a new robot. Thoughts?

Yup. That’s how Maytronics makes its money and how they get their product sold through the retail sales channel - these robots are not cost-effective for the pool owner to repair outside the limited warranty period. So they are designed to have a very finite lifetime and then you’re expected to just buy a new one. Repairing old, worn parts makes them no money and no servjce company really wants to deal with the hassle.

I no longer recommend robots to anyone for that very reason. As long as the consumer is comfortable with spending roughly $1000 every 5 years or so on a new robot, then ok, go for it. But I will not waste my money on them. My suction cleaner does just fine and it’s easily repairable at low cost.

Copy that, totally understand your viewpoint. I narrowed down the issue to the motor assembly and opened it up to find it filled with about a cup of water and the board all smoo'd up and corroded. Ordered a new motor assembly for $450 shipped and the other replacement parts for about $30 to refreshen the unit. We'll see how long this lasts me

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Copy that, totally understand your viewpoint. I narrowed down the issue to the motor assembly and opened it up to find it filled with about a cup of water and the board all smoo'd up and corroded. Ordered a new motor assembly for $450 shipped and the other replacement parts for about $30 to refreshen the unit. We'll see how long this lasts me

Same here. I rebuilt the water pump motor and it works great but the drivetrain motor died immediately after getting one run out of it. Also found more water in the unit even though I sealed it up. The drive motor shows up on some robot websites at $100 to replace which is utterly ridiculous as the motor itself probably costs $10-$20. These are cheap brushed DC motors, they are not expensive at all. I also replaced tracks, brushes, wheels and hubs as well.

With a new motor assembly you’ll probably be up and running in no time. It’s sad that they charge so much for them as they are definitely not $450 worth of parts. My guesstimate is the entire assembly probably costs around $100-$150 and, because they are manufacturing these on a large scale, I suspect the unit cost is lower than that. But everyone in the supply chain needs to get their cut and so by the time it gets down to the consumer it’s 3 or 4 times more expensive.

Reactions: BaltimoreCaesar
Sorry to jump on your thread if its okay? Opening my pool today, and my Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner, had one good run, and now it only runs for a few minutes before stopping. I couldn't find it clogged with anything. I did notice the impeller was missing one blade, so I'm ordering another impeller. Would the broken Impeller cause it to stop working quickly after starting, or would it most likely be something else. I haven't tried using the remote yet.

Any good youtube videos on how to bread down the Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner?

If it's fried, I may look for a new one, as unfortunately, this Dolphin gets stuck on my main drains, and hopefully I can find one that doesn't

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.