May have screwed up.

Sep 23, 2016
Morganton, NC
Left AGP pool open for the winter for the 1st time.
Running pump at night on timer.
Been running pump 24/7 the last 2 weeks.
I now have a 24’ hockey rink.
Last 2 weeks temps have been WAY WAY below average, let me put it this way, I have ridden motorcycles in Jan in the past.
Tuesday morning had about 1/8” – 3/16” island of ice covering about 50% of the surface, water temp was right at 35.
Checked it last night, top frozen, pump still running, some ice in skimmer, but water still flowing.
During the night it froze enough to completely freeze the skimmer, and pump sounds like it is sucking air, don’t see any damage, and I can see all the flex hoses, pump seems ok, turned it off.
Keeping fingers crossed?

Left AGP pool open for the winter for the 1st time.
Running pump at night on timer.
Been running pump 24/7 the last 2 weeks.
I now have a 24’ hockey rink.
Last 2 weeks temps have been WAY WAY below average, let me put it this way, I have ridden motorcycles in Jan in the past.
Tuesday morning had about 1/8” – 3/16” island of ice covering about 50% of the surface, water temp was right at 35.
Checked it last night, top frozen, pump still running, some ice in skimmer, but water still flowing.
During the night it froze enough to completely freeze the skimmer, and pump sounds like it is sucking air, don’t see any damage, and I can see all the flex hoses, pump seems ok, turned it off.
Keeping fingers crossed?
I have a similar issue, but with an inground pool. We warmed up after a week Avery cold (waaaay below average) temps. This weekend we hit 5F with wind chill of - 3. Made me very nervous, but pool chugged along. Did get some ice on surface.

Yesterday was actually warmer (last night's low was 15F). When I came home for lunch I did a check on all the equipment, broke up the big ice sheets that were starting to thaw and emptied the skimmers/cleared out a little ice from them.

Woke up this morning to very little flow through the bubblers and returns so went to investigate. Skimmers had a lot of ice and the opening to one had become completely blocked. Pump basket had water, but was not full of water. Cleared ice out and poured warm water in. Some air got flushed out of returns and flow went to normal from all returns.

The problem now, is the pump is making a funny sound and won't change speeds. It's still working, but I'm not sure what is going on. It's a Hayward VS pump. I'm afraid to kick it off because we're going to have similar temps tonight. Luckily it is supposed to warm up next week for us into the high 40s/low 50s.

Not sure what to do...

Yes turn the pump off and break up the ice you can see. Can you close the valves leading to the pump so you can open the pump lid and make sure there is not ice in there.

You might want to think about taking off any equipment you can and opening the lines to let the water flow out of the skimmer and return lines.

MUCH finger crossing going on here for you!

You're unable to keep the pump running I would suggest draining as much water from the equipment as possible. Try to make room for the ice to expand by leaving any drain plugs off and drains open on your equipment.

My crisis is currently averted. I think the filter had partially frozen because filter pressure was high this morning, but pump started sounding normal, changed speed to 100% normally, and filter pressure dropped.

Everything seems fine.

How do we keep the openings of the skimmer from freezing again?

Yes turn the pump off and break up the ice you can see. Can you close the valves leading to the pump so you can open the pump lid and make sure there is not ice in there.

You might want to think about taking off any equipment you can and opening the lines to let the water flow out of the skimmer and return lines.

MUCH finger crossing going on here for you!

Hoping the flex hoses will help relieve some of the pressure from the ice.
Yes I do have vales on both sides of the pump/filter.
May just leave the valves open, and remove the drain plugs from the pump and filter.
I don't mind having to add water back, if it saves the pump.
Just checked the forecast, Low teens next 3 nights, low won't be above freezing until at least monday night.

Thanks for suggestions.

Chris

Well I think pump is ok.
Water was standing in the pump basket, removed drain plug and water drained out.
Removed sand filter drain plug, no water come out.
Flex houses are pretty stiff, but heard crackling when I moved them.
Filter valve is frozen, won't even disengage.
Hopefully thats enough to drain it down when it gets warm enough.
Will check valve until it disengages easily, and set it to winterze.
Skimmer doesn't look frozen solid, and no noticeable cracks.
Ice is approximately an inch thick in pool.

Take either a tennis ball or a water bottle with some antifreeze in it and place into the skimmer. This will give ice room to expand IF it freezes solid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.