Maxflo VS or intelliflo i1

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
OK, so I got some great info in my other thread comparing the older Pentair Superflo VS with the new superflo VS. My question now is do I go with the 1.5 (2.2) HP Superflo VS 342001 or the 1.0 (3.2) HP Intelliflo i1 011008? The Intelloflo i1 has a smaller impeller that I understand reduces flow to comparable values see with the Superflo VS. So does the "service factor" of 3.2 go to waste with the intelloflo or do I gain an significant advantage by getting the more expensive pump? My plumbing is 1.5" and I'm guessing I have a head pressure of 40 - 50. Finally, is there any place for a regular 3.2HP Intelliflo 011018 VS pump in my system or is that total overkill?

All input and advice greatly appreciated!

Frankly, a VS might be overkill. A two speed might have a lower lifetime cost than a VS unless you get a decent rebate or have very high electrical rates.

But anyway, other than cost it really doesn't matter what VS you get because they are variable and all would work on your pool just at different RPM. So there is no advantage to the larger versions unless you actually need the higher flow rates an pressure for a spa or waterfall.

Keith,

There is no way that I would ever buy the IntelliFlo i1 or i2... They cost as much or more than the full-up IntelliFlo and if you read Pentair's literature they are made for very specific conditions such as not have 220 volts or government mandates.

I have two rent house that have the 011018 IntelliFlo and they both have 1.5 inch plumbing.. The pumps work great and have been problem free for the past 4 years or more.

As Mark says, a 2-speed pump may be a better deal economically, but if you want a VS pump do not be afraid of the HP rating as it just does not matter. Kind of like your car. I'll bet it has many more HP than you actually use.

I like the ability to be able to set the speeds I want, not the speeds that someone else has decided I need.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. It seems that you have a lot of water features that could use the larger pump. Given the choice of the smaller Maxflo VS or the larger Intelliflo VS, which do you think would be optimal for my pool (see sig)?

Keith,

The pool at my house has a wall with three small waterfalls.. The two rent houses do not have any water features nor do they use a pump powered cleaner.

My internal clock says that a bigger pump running slower is better than a small pump running faster. I have zero proof that this is true, just one of those gut things... :p

For reference I run my IntelliFlo at 1200 rpm, 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month. At that speed it only draws 175 Watts and my filter pressure is only 2 or 3 lbs.. All three of the pools operate about the same way.

I am a highly biased Pentair guy.... and I believe that the IntelliFlo is the "Gold Standard" of pumps...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. If I could get the Intelliflo to run at 1200rpm, that would be great. But I'm concerned about the flow rate vs head pressure data for this pump on the Pentair site. Do you know what your head pressure is or, failing that, can you describe the plumbing characteristics of your rental setups?

Keith,

The two rentals are very simple... The pump, multiport valve, DE filter, then back to the pool returns. One pool only has two return eyeballs and the other has three. Both DE filters run about 4 or 5 lbs on the filter gauge.

For both pools, because I run them at low speed, most of the time, I can get away with cleaning the filters twice a year. I never backwash any more.

The low speed on the IntelliFlo is about 600 rpm... I think the most economical speed is 1000 rpm, but I have a SWCG and have to run at 1200 to ensure my flow switch says closed.

If you are trying to determine the number of Turnovers in a day, then it is just not needed. The idea that you must have x turnovers of pool water a day is just an old myth, proven wrong by TFP...

Thanks,

Jim R.

What is it you are concerned about on the pump curves for the Intelliflo pump? Even at 1200 rpm the intelliflo is going to be moving a plenty of water in a set up like yours for general circulation and skimming. It is a monster of a pump when compared to the pump you are replacing or the maxflo pump you are considering.

The Superflo VS would be a more direct comparison to the Maxflo VS. Both of these pumps would also be plenty of pump for your pool and still move plenty of water in the under 1500rpm range. As for energy consumption THIS thread is a good example of why spending the extra money on an Intelliflo pump will save you very little in the low rpm ranges when compared to the smaller pumps. It IS dependent on your pool plumbing but by your description of your equipment you have a very simple plumbing layout.

If you aren't planning on adding automation or a SWG to your pool there is very little argument for you to get an Intelliflo pump.

Thanks guys. I do have a very simple system but, according to the various head calculators, I have a head pressure of 40-45 psi. According to the various flow curves for these pumps, you need at least 2000-2500 rpm to get ANY flow at that head pressure.

If I'm wrong on the head pressure assumption, I'm all ears. Here's my plumbing layout:

approximately 80 linear feet of 1.5" pipe; one suction (skimmer), two returns; 25 90 degree elbows;pump and equipment at pool level; sand filter (16psi);gas heater, Chlorinator.

what do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys. I do have a very simple system but, according to the various head calculators, I have a head pressure of 40-45 psi.
Head pressure? Usually head is measure in feet. Your pump could probably not produce 40 PSI.

According to the various flow curves for these pumps, you need at least 2000-2500 rpm to get ANY flow at that head pressure.
Your assumptions are incorrect. Dynamic head loss is not a constant. It is proportional to the square of flow rate and RPM. So at half speed, head loss is 1/4th the value of high speed.

As I said before the head loss in a plumbing system is not a constant with RPM. When you lower the pump's RPM head loss drops as a square of the RPM. 2000 RPM will have 1/3 rd the head loss of 3450 RPM.

But with 1.5" plumbing there is no way you would have 45' of head with a 1 HP pump. Forget all those head calculators because they are never right. Don't be too concerned about the head loss.

On a typical pool with 1.5" plumbing, the head loss with the above head curve for 3450 RPM would be about 89' of head @73 GPM. At 2000 RPM, the head loss would be 30' of head @ 42 GPM.

If you want to see how head loss changes with RPM and flow rate, you can plot the following plumbing curve on top of the above head curve. The plumbing curve for 1.5" plumbing is usually close to:

Head loss (ft) = 0.0167 * GPM^2

OK Mark, I did as suggested and got the following graph:

pump.jpg

This is for the Sta-Rite Supermax VS pump (1.5hp) which I'm thinking is the most appropriate for my application. If I understand this correctly, then, I will have the following flow rates at the stated RPM:

1400rpm - 10gpm
2200rpm - 27gpm
3000rpm - 50gpm
3450rpm - 67gpm

Is this correct? If so, I should just be scraping by with this pump and the maximum recommended flow rates for my 1.5" plumbing and my 24" Hayward sand filter?

Edit: I did the same for the flow/head for the Intelliflo 011018 pump and the numbers are about 10gpm higher at any given rpm. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
This is for the Sta-Rite Supermax VS pump (1.5hp) which I'm thinking is the most appropriate for my application. If I understand this correctly, then, I will have the following flow rates at the stated RPM:

1400rpm - 10gpm
2200rpm - 27gpm
3000rpm - 50gpm
3450rpm - 67gpm

Is this correct? If so, I should just be scraping by with this pump and the maximum recommended flow rates for my 1.5" plumbing and my 24" Hayward sand filter?
Yes, that is correct. But I don't know what you mean by scraping by. You should never need to run at full speed. Pick the RPM which is below the filter max flow rate and that should be your maximum RPM. But you should be able operate at a much lower RPM anyway.

Edit: I did the same for the flow/head for the Intelliflo 011018 pump and the numbers are about 10gpm higher at any given rpm. Does this make sense?
Yes, it has a larger impeller which will deliver higher flow rates for a given RPM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.