Max-E-Therm 400 heat turning off after a few seconds

grunky_peep

Gold Supporter
May 26, 2020
Sacramento, CA
So I'm in the Sacramento and we just received 6" of rain over the weekend. Ever since, my heater will light (I hear the large boom and it rumbles the house), stays on for 3-5 seconds, and then it goes out. This repeats 3 times before it shuts itself off and the "Service Heater" LED lights up. Putting my hand by the exhaust, I can feel the heat for those 3-5 seconds, then it goes back to air temperature. Not sure if water from our downpour got into the enclosure somehow? It's worked just fine for the past 18 months we've owned the house, and just started having this issue after our weekend rain.

Is there anything easy I can check before paying someone to come look at it? I've never opened it up before, so this is brand new territory for me.

grunky_peep

Gold Supporter
May 26, 2020
Sacramento, CA
Thanks. Reading this, it sounds like the flame sensor is being wonky. I can hear the gas start and the burner ignites, but then shuts off after a few seconds like it didn’t detect a flame.

Anyway, I tried it later in the day and it actually ignited. I let it run for 15 mins or so and the spa warmed up. It went out once or twice, but was able to reignite and keep warming the spa.

So I’m guessing the flame sensor got wet from the rain somehow, and just took some time to dry out? I’ll try it later today to see if it can run longer without having to reignite.

This will be one $2500 repair/replacement I’ll be glad to avoid :)

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread