Mastertemp 400 Heater Not Attempting to Start

When I turn the heater on I'm instantly getting the E01 code and nothing else on the screen. It doesn't even attempt to fire up. Does this correlate with it being the thermistor because of E01 code or something else since it isn't even trying to fire?

Board looks in good shape. LCD on front was replaced last season. Hot surface ignitor is fairly new. Only LED's 7 and 11 were lit on the board.

Any ideas?

The heater won't try to start if it doesn't have a water temperature reading.

The number 7 LED means bad thermistor.

The following are the LEDs:

1.....PS (Pressure Switch)
2.....HLS (High Limit Switch)
3.....SFS (Stack Flue Sensor)
4.....AFS (Air Flow Switch)
5.....AGS (Automatic Gas Shutoff).
6.....Service System
7.....Thermistor
8.....Heating
9.....Pool On
10...Spa On
11...Service Heater.

Last edited:
Alright so, I replaced the thermistor per the video above without much progress. I took out the original thermistor on the heater's input line and it actually seemed like it was in really good shape. I had the heater serviced last season so I wonder if it was replaced then.

I noticed there's also what looks like another thermistor right below on the output of the heater. Does this affect anything? That one looked very aged so I unscrewed that to take a look at it and it didn't even have a prob attached on it anymore.

I still replaced the top one with the new one and continued to get the E01 code. I tried switching the new thermistor and the one that also seemed in good shape. I tried it both ways with each on top and/or bottom. I got a temperature reading to show at some point but it was intermittent with the E01 code and the heater still wouldn't fire. The service heater light remained on even when a temperature showed.

The most frustrating thing is now the top thermistor has a small drip leak that I can't get to seal no matter what I try.

The heater came with the house that I've had for a couple years now. Manufacture date says 2007 or 2008 so I can't imagine it's anywhere close to beginning of life. I have had issues with each it each year I've opened the pool.

Any thoughts?

So I got it to fire up. Not sure what the issue was but made sure all the wires on the board were pushed in and suddenly it worked. Hopefully it lasts.

My new issue is the small leak coming from the thermistor area that I couldn’t get to seal. Upon further inspection there looks to be a small crack on the outside of the manifold right where the thermistor threads in.

Know of anything I can try to patch it or am I destined for new manifold housing? I tried an oatey fix-it stick without much luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.