Mastertemp 250 ERR IGN, Troubleshooting help please

AllUrban

Jun 25, 2022
Alberta
I have a Mastertemp 250, I installed it less than a month ago. It was working great until last week. I started to get AFS and IGN errors, more often the IGN error though. The heater will try to start up and begin the firing process just fine, the igniter lights the gas, the exhaust gets hot for a couple of seconds and then the firing shuts down. The heater does this cycle a couple more times and then flashes the error codes and shuts off. I have only had the IGN error for the last 3-4 attempts. The AFS error seems to have stopped.

I pulled the AFS tubing out and made sure that it was clean and there are no blockages. I pulled the igniter and it looks fine and measures 50 ohms when cold. I pulled the flue gas sensor and it also looks brand new. I removed the bottom bolt of the manifold and there is no water in the combustion chamber. I have searched other posts and haven't found symptoms that match this, or solutions that I have not tried.

Does anyone have any advice on what the problem could be? or next steps on the diagnosis process? Are there any other issues that might cause the heater to throw those codes that are not related to AFS or IGN?

Welcome to TFP.

What you describe could be a flame sensing problem although you should not have that in a new heater.

With a new heater you should put in a warranty claim.

Are you sure your gas meter has the required capacity?

Post pics of your gas meter data plate and your heater showing the gas pipe connections.

I'll work on getting some photos. The gas meter was replaced prior to the pool heater installation, because our previous one would've been too small. It came wired for 220V and that is how we wired it. I have sent an email to Pentair, waiting to hear back. I was hoping I could figure it out while I was waiting for a response. The pool is effectively unuseable without the heater so I was hoping it would be an easy fix!

I'm having trouble with the photos. The gas meter is capable of 340 cubic feet per hour, the heater needs 250. So I don't think it's a gas supply problem. The heater is 20' away from the meter and is fed with an 1-1/4" line that reduces down to 3/4" about 3' from the heater.

I bought the heater in the winter to avoid supply issues when the pool went in this summer. Unfortunately, that means the Pentair warranty had lapsed before we installed it. My plumber is not a "pool professional" so we did not qualify for the extended warranty.

I've ordered a new AFS in hopes that the heater has correctly diagnosed the problem. Local parts availability is not great (Edmonton, AB)

An initial AFS error is usually the wrong voltage.

Which plug is installed?

Did you measure the voltage?

What switch controls power to the heater?

Do NOT change the plug unless you are 100% sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.