Massive rain during construction - feedback requested (Houston)

Travelguy73

Aug 16, 2020
Houston
Our PB (a large nationwide builder) chose to have the dig/rebar done weeks in advance from the gunite, due to schedule delays with the gunite. In the meantime, we had many days of rain and the pool ended up very full of water. Fast forward a week, and they have pumped out the water and "mucked out" the mud, but there are areas close to the house where the walls have somewhat collapsed and have large openings (so large the stubbed pipes fell out). The construction supervisor will be here Monday, but ahead of his visit, I would like to better understand what the solution is. Thicker gunite in the "caverns?" Will they need to rebar those areas too? And the stubbed pipes, what to do with them? And of course we have so much mud piled up around the opening!

Our gunite was originally scheduled for 12/11, but ironically we got an email on Saturday from the scheduler that it is now 12/8, only a couple days from now. I assume the scheduler and supervisor haven't talked, and that the gunite will be delayed. But maybe not?

The last picture is from before the rain.

(And yes, that is our temp sewer pipe running through the middle...another fun issue, but one that we expected.)

I totally understand that this is a risk with pool construction, so I'm more wanting to be educated by those in this group who have experienced similar, and how the challenges were resolved.

Attachments

• walls 0.jpg
    walls 0.jpg
    925.3 KB · Views: 136
  • walls 1.jpg
    walls 1.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 134
  • walls 2.jpg
    walls 2.jpg
    912.3 KB · Views: 136
  • walls 3.jpg
    walls 3.jpg
    951.8 KB · Views: 140
  • walls 4.jpg
    walls 4.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 139
I think gravel will fill the caverns and build any area back up. They may need to build some additional forms for the gunite and then backfill with gravel.

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
Just realized this was a few months ago. But if you can, please let me know if my answer below is accurate. I'm going through it currently.

My pool has been re-dug 3x already and after last night, it will probably need a 4th...lol.

I have a lot of cave ins and very close to the house and it's a freeform design, so probably tougher to fix. After speaking with the PB, this is my understanding of how they'll fix it:

They rebuild the form with taller stakes, and rebar as normal. Once they need to gunite, they put boards behind the stakes to create a backing and then spray the gunite. After that, they fill the voids with a sand mix (sand and cement or gravel I think) and they compact it down so there's no movement on the surface. This way the decking won't move or anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.