Massive Chlorine Consumption Mystery

I do have nitrates but no nitrites or ammonia to consume chlorine so i figure those are just there to stay. 5 to 10 ppm on some test strips the pool store let me borrow.
CSI is ~-0.5 as I guessed a water temperature of 85F.

The SWCG can still release some minor calcium even with the CSI at that level. But it will not scale up.

If your unable to hold FC with that SWCG, and the diagnostics from the cell show it is producing chlorine, then the CYA is too low and/or there is organics, of some kind, in the pool water consuming the chlorine.
Water temp actually climbed to 91 today when i tested. I borrowed nitrate test strips from pool store and i do have nitrates but no nitrite or ammonia so i figure the nitrates are just there to stay. So algae would have food i suppose. Nitrates were 5 to 10 ppm. They told me to drain the pool and i kindly thanked them for their time. Seemed a bit extreme.

Does that mean you have not tested them or that they were always 0?
Not sure if this is normal or not, seems like it is but i am desperate to figure this out. If i look right in front of pool lights i can see a bit of cloudiness in the water. Can only see it right in front of the lights. Could that be algae that i just cant see in any way except passing in front of lights? Or would that just be the ultra fine particles my filter is unable to remove? Thinking of shocking again since im out of ideas. Sorry if this is a silly question.

Pretty normal for pieces to be seen floating in the light. Just needs more filter time, not necessarily cloudy.

In any case, there is no shocking! Follow the SLAM process.

Ok well I got through it last weekend and monday through wednesday i had to have my Wife turn chlorinator down to 30 percent because the Cl was getting too high. Was a great feeling.

Then today i come home to no Cl again even though i had Wife turn cell up to 100 percent. I had no bleach left so i had to use a bag of cal hypo. Ive had it for months but from what i read it should still be good. Cl now reading 6. I just got back with bottles of bleach and was curious can i add bleach and start slam after the cal hypo? Did i make a mistake in a panic with no chlorine in the pool? Should i wait and see what happens tomorrow? No obvious algae but again i see some cloudiness passing by the lights.

I am learning lots of lessons in my first season and i know it will pay off but man this is stressful/not fun. TC is 6 FC is 6, salt 3500, ch is 290, cya is 60, TA is 120, ph 7.4. Still have nitrates.

Nothing strange other than again i noticed the cell stop making bubbles for a moment and noticed lots of white flakes suspended in the pool. This was prior to using the cal hypo. Probably means nothing but thought it worth mentioning since it also did that the last time this problem occurred. Cell is not dirty. I am trying out a new cell to see if the old one was an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.