Maryland - Catalina Builder Went Under and it Seems they are Leaving Customers to Fend for Themselves

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Wow. Just got this letter from my builder. Looks like they are simply walking away from active jobs. I feel very bad about this for the customers. I have a "lifetime" shell warranty. I suppose that is null and void now as well?

Dear Customer:

The purpose of this letter is to inform you that on October 13, 2022, Catalina Pool Builders, LLC. (“Catalina”) ceased operations after being in operation since 2008.

This was a difficult decision for our family and was made over many months and after carefully reviewing many considerations. Catalina’s mission over the past 14 years was to build high quality swimming pools at an affordable cost for our customers.

World events over the past 3 years have made this process quite difficult, with shortages of material, employees, subcontractors and the substantial increase in prices to perform contracts that Catalina entered many months before incurring the expenses. The time frame of permitting and building swimming pools, due to the current world pandemic and ultimately the sharp increase in all costs involved in the process, has also led to our demise. Our owners invested substantial sums of money to maintain operations, but even those resources were not enough. While the future of Catalina is certain, the future of the owners and management is not as we search for new occupations. We wish you all the success in life, and we regret that you must search for others to finish your swimming pool project. We cannot do so because of the inability to pay employees, hire subcontractors and pay creditors.

Over the next 2-3 weeks, we will be reviewing all accounting records in an attempt to liquidate assets for potential distribution to approximately two hundred (200) creditors. Once this process is complete you will receive a letter from counsel to Catalina as to the liquidation of the few remaining assets.

We apologize for the inconvenience and harm to you, but we have exhausted our viable options.

CATALINA POOL BUILDERS, LLC

Stopped by Catalina this afternoon. Nothing I saw to "advertise" out of business, so I'm not sure if the small red "CLOSED" sign in the window is just part of what they look like during non business hours. FWIW - :rolleyes:

IMG_20221028_160657.jpg

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Corporation is registered but there are no results from a contractor active license search using the business name or the MHIC number of 126789.

The last name returns a result, which might be a relative of the owner.

1667052262780.png

1667052358859.png
https://egov.maryland.gov/BusinessExpress/EntitySearch

https://www.dllr.state.md.us/cgi-bi...ch/OP_search.cgi?calling_app=HIC::HIC_qselect

1667052535117.png

Last edited:
Someone was mad enough to make a website about their experience.

“Who are we and why did we create this site for Catalina Pool Builders Complaints

We create this site because we started our pool project during Covid time.

We signed the contract in July 2020 and it's been the worse experience ever.

I personally feel that most individuals wouldn't go through what I have in order to get the job done and wanted to post a resource page for individuals that are going through something similar".

https://catalinapoolbuilderscompliants.com/contact/

I have no doubt they are going out of business. The email I got is legit. Their problem is the managers/owners that run the place are incompetent. They farm out 100% of each job to subs. Which unto itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. But, they don't do any Q/A at all. If you get a good sub like I did, it will turn out fine. I did have a few issues with them but not with the finished pool. I am very happy with the results. I credit that to the great contractors that worked on my pool and this site helping me ask the right questions. I only met Catalina's managers 1 time the day of the dig. I never heard from the after that. No site visits, no Q/A, no congrats when it was done. Nothing. I did sue them for $3k worth of grading I had to have done to pass final county inspection but they managed to evade service because their registered agent address was not valid. I dropped the case after that it wasn't worth my time to pursue.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Over the next 2-3 weeks, we will be reviewing all accounting records in an attempt to liquidate assets for potential distribution to approximately two hundred (200) creditors. Once this process is complete you will receive a letter from counsel to Catalina as to the liquidation of the few remaining assets.

This says they are putting the business into bankruptcy court.

If they owe you anything put a claim into the Court and get in line as a creditor.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
They don't say that they are filing for bankruptcy.
They don't use the word but they describe the process.

Their creditors will get notification from the Court or "counsel". Whose Counsel they don't say either.

Their creditors will get notification from the Court or "counsel".
They don't use the word "court".

Most likely, in my opinion, they will just send a letter saying that there are no assets left and you get nothing.

Anyone who wants to can sue them, but assets are probably being hidden in the meantime, in my opinion.

The word "Counsel" is ambiguous at best.

They do not say attorney or lawyer.

Counsel might be anyone, like maybe their uncle Fred or the guy who cuts their lawn or their crazy next door neighbor.

Reactions: Newdude
The person who wrote the letter is obviously very adept at "Lying by implying", which is saying things in a way that gets you to infer things that are not true.

Because the person never actually said the things you inferred, they cannot be held accountable for your inferences.

You inferred that they were filing for bankruptcy, but they never actually said that even though they might have wanted you to assume or infer that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.