Marble Dust Color

Mattlar0806

Jul 6, 2023
Northeast
Been reading up on this as this part of the decision has finally come up and I figured be great to get a fresh opinion from the experts.

We are a rectangle 22x40. On the deep end we will have a 25ft L shaped dolphin water slide in a rock waterfall feature. So despite being a rectangle we are definitely going for a more natural look. Patio is a sandblasted light grey marble

Thoughts on light/med/dark marble dust?

North east build.

We are leaning towards dark.
We had light before and doesn’t fit the more natural look and thought medium might be not dark enough or light enough. PB is pitching medium tho saying dark is too dark lol

Thanks!

Been reading up on this as this part of the decision has finally come up and I figured be great to get a fresh opinion from the experts.

We are a rectangle 22x40. On the deep end we will have a 25ft L shaped dolphin water slide in a rock waterfall feature. So despite being a rectangle we are definitely going for a more natural look. Patio is a sandblasted light grey marble

Thoughts on light/med/dark marble dust?

North east build.

We are leaning towards dark.
We had light before and doesn’t fit the more natural look and thought medium might be not dark enough or light enough. PB is pitching medium tho saying dark is too dark lol

Thanks!

Bump - anyone have advice here?
Im starting to think marble dust as a whole is the wrong choice due to the mottling that will occur on my top step and 2nd step sun shelf..

My PB is claiming pebble tec products to be at least 3x the cost of marble dust and that routinely repairing these top steps would be Pennie’s on the dollars to pebble tec as a whole. let’s call marble dust 12k - they are saying pebble will be another 20+k. Is this accurate ?

It is not clear what surface or product you are asking about.

You asking about a palster pool finish color or material?

Post pics or links to color samples you are talking about.

It is not clear what surface or product you are asking about.

You asking about a palster pool finish color or material?

Post pics or links to color samples you are talking about.

I don’t have all the specifics here as I am only just starting to explore other products.

My PB has given me marble dust as the priced in option right now. They offered a light, medium or dark grey marble dust.

Wife and I want a dark finish, dark water.

dark grey marble dust would probably be our choice except my research has me very concerned at the mottling effect. That our top step in 1-2 years will look like garbage having a weathered dark grey marble dust and it will detract from this very large new investment we are making. So I’m asking is this concern valid?

When inquiring with the PB on alternatives the pricing of pebble Tec - let’s call it pebble sheen as I’d want the smoother one - seemed to be a very large jump in price. They were saying possibly 3x?

My pool is a 22x40 with a 7.5 ft deep end. 6x14 sun shelf. 4 8ft steps next to the sun shelf.

"Marble Dust" from what plaster manufacturer?

You can expect any dark color to mottle. You are not likely to get an even paint like color finish.

Have you asked your builder for references to owners of pools who have a "Marble Dust" finish?

You may find this information helpful...

Reactions: Mattlar0806
I've seen pools that are done with pebble on the sunshelf and/or steps, with a complimentary smoother finish on the rest of the pool.

Pebble looks amazing, but it is rough and will tear up feet even just from swimming around, let alone any kind of playing. Marcite/marble dust/plaster or even a very fine quartz gives a smooth finish when done right.

You could have your builder get or make some 1'x1' samples of various materials, submerge them in your pool, and pick from that. I would offer to pay them to make the samples, and you keep them. Don't expect the samples to match the final installation 100%, but it should help you make sure you get what you picked.

Having the regulars here on the forum review the scope of work, especially the prep phase, will really pay dividends.

I've seen pools that are done with pebble on the sunshelf and/or steps, with a complimentary smoother finish on the rest of the pool.

Pebble looks amazing, but it is rough and will tear up feet even just from swimming around, let alone any kind of playing. Marcite/marble dust/plaster or even a very fine quartz gives a smooth finish when done right.

You could have your builder get or make some 1'x1' samples of various materials, submerge them in your pool, and pick from that. I would offer to pay them to make the samples, and you keep them. Don't expect the samples to match the final installation 100%, but it should help you make sure you get what you picked.

Having the regulars here on the forum review the scope of work, especially the prep phase, will really pay dividend

"Marble Dust" from what plaster manufacturer?

You can expect any dark color to mottle. You are not likely to get an even paint like color finish.

Have you asked your builder for references to owners of pools who have a "Marble Dust" finish?

You may find this information helpful...

Was told - White Portland cement and Georgia marble

Does anyone have a ballpark additional cost for a diamondbrite install compared to standard marble dust on a 40x20? I believe diamondbrite can be acid washed after for additional exposure, we would avoid doing this.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Plaster +20% or so
That’s what I thought. My Pb said it was an equivalent upgrade / similar product to pebble fina , which maybe he’s right but I’m still being ballparked astronomical costs to upgrade.

My goal - since we want a dark finish - I am looking to spend a little bit more money for a better plaster solution to have less of a mottling effect on my top stair / sun shelf. From everything I read Diamondbrite fits this bill perfectly. Except it’s not aligning with Pb.