Managing my CYA

parteecia

Aug 6, 2012
Upland, CA
My pool is as green as the Emerald City, won't hold Cl, pool $tore$ yadda yadda.

Just tested CYA and it's over 100. My pool water is currently 3 ft. deep. I am think of drawing down another foot before refilling to adjust and SLAM. Opinions?

You need to drain over half your pool to get your CYA in the 30-40 range for the SLAM Process.

Did you do the dilution test? You could need more of a drain.

For CYA > 90ppm, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from adding R-0013, but multiply the final result by two.

And if your CYA is over 100, do a diluted CYA test to get a better number than "over 100". Based on the diluted CYA test results, we can better advise you.

Thank you for the fast responses! Very reassuring after stressing out about the whole thing for too long.

At this point I think I will drain and refill. I was trying to avoid that being thick in the SoCal drought but it seems I would be throwing good water after bad if I try to save it?

Spray the inside down. Mix up some dilute chlorine ( a cup or two per 5 gallon bucket) and slosh that around inside. Then fill it back up.
Add 30 ppm CYA at start and once you have that dissolving raise your FC to 12 ppm. Do a quick SLAM to get any thing left behind.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This question may be too general to answer but I'm curious. This is my 4th pool, put up last summer. Each has lasted an average of 7 years. They have all been maintained using pucks in ducks, powdered pH up/down, test strips, and the cheap test kit. I can only remember one other time when the algae got so bad that we had to drain and refill. My now deceased boyfriend used to take care of blooms with algaecide, powdered shock, and floc. Why did that work? Were we just lucky?

It will work. I just would not want to swim in the chemical stew that results. The water was never as clear as TFP clear. The pool most likely was not sanitary as the FC/CYA levels were not maintained.

Eye irritation, itchy skin, feeling like you need to take a shower after getting out of the pool, etc. TFP pools are not that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.