Major rust issue

bb12489

Mar 20, 2020
Hey all. New to the forum, and just looking for some input. We just purchased a house last fall that had an above ground salt water pool, and we're finally getting around to changing out the liner in it.

However we've come across a big issue as you can see from the photos....is there anyway to save this pool? Or are we looking at just getting a whole new one. I've read that it may be possible to patch with sheet metal, and use various rust convert/rust prevention solutions and then repaint. Would th at be possible, or is it too far gone?

Thanks!

Attachments

• received_541773716451352.jpeg
    received_541773716451352.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 69
  • received_234727040903674.jpeg
    received_234727040903674.jpeg
    654.3 KB · Views: 72
  • received_207788920539442.jpeg
    received_207788920539442.jpeg
    733.8 KB · Views: 66
  • received_194904008623446.jpeg
    received_194904008623446.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 63
BB, welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm the first person to make something last as long as I can. Just look at my socks. :) But I don't have a god feeling about that wall. Sure, we can patch a relatively small area to get through one or two more seasons, but there's also the water pressure behind the compromised area to consider. Your pool seems to have quite a few thin spots. If it were me, I'd plan for a total replacement, if nothing else, for safety and peace of mind. But let's see what some other AGP owners have to say. Other eyes may have other opinions.

With holes already BEFORE you sand I am sorry to say it will only get worse when you sand it. It will end up being more than is safe to patch in any way.

When we just replaced our liner we found some surface rust over most of the wall (inside). I sanded it. When I did I "made" two small holes (smaller than a pencil eraser). My husband used bondo to fill them in. I then spray painted the whole wall with rust stop paint. I guess we shall see how it worked when we need to replace the liner next time.

Your walls are too far gone for fixing. I hate saying that!! but better safe than sorry!

I concur with all others. Sorry but too far gone. :cry:
We repaired our pool wall when rust was around the skimmer and return openings. Ours was an easy fix. Your's is not.

Here's another pool with similar problem as yours. End result-wall blowout.

Pool wall collapse:

Sorry to pile on but that pool is hosed. Please get a new one. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.