Major pool Chemistry problem

Sounds like your pool is clear. If you find even with the cover (and no swimmers) you still loose quite a bit of FC during the day, then maybe eek your cya level up to 50-55 ppm. However, I would not make this adjustment right away (OCD aside), but would observe over a few days to get a feel for your pool. Be careful, cya is easy to add, but drain/refill to get rid of.

Yeah, pool has been clear for 6 days. Passed OCLT, now just trying to maintain. What else could be causing a FC drain that high if it wasn't the high temp and rain yetertday. It doesn't make sense to me if there is 0CC and a highFC.

Johnny-M said:
What else could be causing a FC drain that high if it wasn't the high temp and rain yetertday. It doesn't make sense to me if there is 0CC and a highFC.
Sun and organics. Rain often times brings stuff in with it.

As to sun loss, it is possible that your cya test method is giving you slightly higher than actual results...a common error for new cya testers. So your cya might actually be more like 35-40? Either way, a slightly higher cya level will protect your chlorine from the sun your pool gets, though as mentioned before, I would probably observe it a few days before changing.

Well its been over 12 hours and my FC reading is 5.0 .Started at 8.5 at 6:30 am. Cover was on and temp maxed out today at 84 degrees, sunny all day. There is alot of bugs and other dirt in the pool from the thunderstorms we had yesterday. I am debating throwing 2 tricolor pucks in to see if they will help. Keep FC up. I will keep you posted on tomorrows results.

IF I am missing any other variable that would explain the loss. Let me know. The pool is perfectly clear and all other test results are in the desired range. There have been little or no readings of anyCC during the tests.

One more thing, did you wash the cover with bleach before putting it back in the pool? The spaces between the bubbles can harbor microscopic algae if the cover was on the pool during the time it was infested with algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The cover is a light blue plastic solar cover it covers about 80% of my pool. Because my pool is a lazy L shape there are areas exposed to sunlight all day. I just put the cover on last night, but did not wash with bleach. I washed it last year before i put it away for winter and put it on the pool after the initial balancing, clearing and OCLT was passed. If it is usual to lose half your Fc per day then maybe i am normal. :goodjob: I just am not used to actually seeing number results on a test as opposed to seeing different shades of yellow with the OTO test. Last year I kept the pool around 3 ppm, so i didnt add alot per day to reach back up to 3. The pool guys and every test and chlorine container say you cant swim in the water until FC is under 4. Based on the TFP method and the CYA/FC chart I should never allow my FC to be below 4ppm. So it is a learning process on my end. I am so very sorrry to keep this thread going, I hope it will help others understand their problems a little better. I was hoping to have it closed and me just add 2-3 ppm of FC per day and get a routine going. I will get there at some point, I hope.
Thanks again for allyour encouragement and guidance.
John

Getting a pretty good feel for the daily maintenance dose. FC was at 9 this morning
It dropped to 6, 13 hours later. I brought it back to 9me this evening. My loss per day must be averaging 3-4 in direct sun with cover on.

33% drop during the day is not bad. Since your minimum normal FC is 3 (according to poolcalculator and 40 ppm cya) then dosing to 6 ppm FC each night should get you by, unless you have many swimmers, leave the cover off, or have other organics blow in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.