Major flooding...POOL DIRTY BROWN

propjetprop

Gold Supporter
Jan 5, 2018
Douglasville Georgia
Hello everyone....

We received about 5 inches of rain in less than 1 hour this morning and my yard is now in my pool! I went from crystal clear water to this:
20200206_095926.jpg

I have the cartridge and VSP on max at 3000 RPM, and the Polaris running.... The builder advice was to get some Flocculant and go that road... I am hesitant to use FLOC with a cartridge filter. Do you think that running the filter and pump on high can solve this over time?

I have already spent thousands on yard drainage... you cant see it in this photo, but there are 7, 12"x12" drains connected by 3 inch pipe behind the wall and routed out past the jap maple to the low part of the yard. The rain completely overwhelmed this drainage measure.

All advice will be apprecicated.

Thanks

Bummer.

To use FLOC you would need to be able to pump to waste. Not likely with a cartridge filter set up. And you really do not need the FLOC.

Maintain your FC. No doubt many parameters are haywire right now but FC is most important at this stage.

Read through Precautions and Procedures During Floods - Further Reading

NO FLOC is my recommendation! I have the same thing happen to me occasionally. Read the guide that mknauss posted above; I bring the chlorine up to SLAM level and leave the filter on as long as necessary (and check it to make sure it does not need to be cleaned. I'll vacuum as well.). I've had good luck with this method; it usually clears up in 24-48 hours or so.

Turn off your SWG if you have one. Wait until everything stabilizes (your pool is clean and clear again) and check/adjust your levels when the water is clear and at the proper level.

I agree! I do not want to or plan on FLOC, but I would like to know if there is away to with a cartridge filter for curiosity sake.

As of right now, SWG is off, and I am going to dump liquid chlorine in the pool and bring it up to SLAM levels, Fliter running 24/7 on 3000 and Polaris to kick up the dirt that settles.... Will keep you all posted.

You would need to modify your plumbing to pump to waste. No real reason to.
You should have a small submersible pump on hand to lower water levels or circulate the pool water, when needed.

I doubt you need to run your pump rate any higher than you normally do. Lower flow rates through the filter will let the filter remove the solids more efficiently.

Same thing happened to me last year ( 12 inches in 4 hours ). I ran my pump 24/7 but also cleaned cartridge filter daily. I know it is a PIA but it reduced the time to clear my pool. The only thing I did not do is bring to SLAM, wish I did because I had algae issue's for a couple months. If this ever happens again I would SLAM immediately and keep those levels for a week after I think it is clear. Good Luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.