Major CYA loss

No ammonia.
CYA of 40.
Looks good to me. With a SWCG, I would suggest getting the CYA to 60 or 70 ppm, but that might mess up your ORP thing
Ok, I did dump all that CYA in yesterday as I said earlier so I will keep an eye on it. Algae still visible I have to scrub daily. Eventually it eats all the chlorine up. I will test again tomorrow and report back. Thanks again!

OK -- so you have algae, follow the SLAM Process.
Will do! Still wondering why my cya keeps dropping though. To go from zero when opened to 70 then back to 10 within a month causing me to dump massive amounts of chlorine in just to keep it from going green is the concern

CYA only leaves the water as we described earlier. Or the product used to raise it was faulty, Or there is test error. Pretty simple.

Got it, that makes a ton more sense than the craziness going through my mind. The higher temps are working against you. If you let the pool cool down while you SLAM, you’ll slow down the algae growth. For instance, I only burn through 1-1.5ppm of chlorine in October when my pool is 65-70 degrees, but burn through 2.5-4ppm in July when my pool is mid 80s.

Got it, that makes a ton more sense than the craziness going through my mind. The higher temps are working against you. If you let the pool cool down while you SLAM, you’ll slow down the algae growth. For instance, I only burn through 1-1.5ppm of chlorine in October when my pool is 65-70 degrees, but burn through 2.5-4ppm in July when my pool is mid 80s.
Ok thanks for the tips! Definitely looking forward to getting this pool to a lower maintenance level lol! It’s been quite a pain in the Rear so far for a saltwater pool

I’m a few days into my slam. 98ish% of the visible algae is gone. Removed pHin and threw it in the trash. Cya holding at 70. Closed one of my 3 skimmers that I believe has a leak. Couldn’t prime pump from that skimmer alone like I could the other two….

here’s my logs so far

June 19 8pm
Cya 60
Fc 12.5
Cc 1

June 20 10am
Cya 70
Fc 17
Cc 0

June 20 622pm
Cya 60
Fc 23
Cc .25

June 20 9:58pm
Cya 60
Fc 25
Cc 0

June 21 3pm
Cya 70
Fc 18
Cc 0

June 22 11am
Cya 70
Fc 25
Cc .5

------------------------------------------
Chemical Addition 06-22-2021 @ 09:15 PM
+ 147 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 06-22-2021 @ 11:00 AM
+ 224 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 06-22-2021 @ 10:41 AM
+ 258 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 06-21-2021 @ 03:09 PM
+ 120 Pounds of Salt

Chemical Addition 06-21-2021 @ 03:09 PM
+ 368 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 06-20-2021 @ 06:28 PM
+ 75 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 06-20-2021 @ 12:20 PM
+ 405 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 06-19-2021 @ 10:23 PM
+ 423 FluidOunces of Bleach

Chemical Addition 06-17-2021 @ 02:33 PM
+ 288 Ounces of DryStabilizer

Passed the OCLT last night so I’ll let the fc drift back down now. Cya holding at 70 still. Still have one of 3 skimmers closed and will look into that.
Thanks everyone for your help I’ll bump this thread if I get another major cya loss like I had been having. Must hav even the brand I was using before (liquid) or the skimmer leaking a ton

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Passed the OCLT last night so I’ll let the fc drift back down now. Cya holding at 70 still. Still have one of 3 skimmers closed and will look into that.
Thanks everyone for your help I’ll bump this thread if I get another major cya loss like I had been having. Must hav even the brand I was using before (liquid) or the skimmer leaking a ton

If you are using the PoolMath app, you can click the gear icon in he upper right and go to the bottom of that screen and share your logs with TFP users. It then appears on your username.

Reactions: mknauss
Just an update. Pool is doing awesome. Still have trouble spots where algae starts to form which brushing helps hold back. Wondering if I should add borates now that everything has calmed down to help hold back the algae in these trouble spots? I’m brushing them about 2x per week right now. I do have a lot of water features in the pool which may be causing this? Pool slide, waterfall from hot tub, 5 fountains on the sun deck

Just an update. Pool is doing awesome. Still have trouble spots where algae starts to form which brushing helps hold back. Wondering if I should add borates now that everything has calmed down to help hold back the algae in these trouble spots? I’m brushing them about 2x per week right now. I do have a lot of water features in the pool which may be causing this? Pool slide, waterfall from hot tub, 5 fountains on the sun deck

You should have no algae at all. What is your FC, CC and CYA level?

Post a full set of current test results.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temp

What test kit are you using. Add that to your signature.

Don't add any "extras" right now. Get your algae issue under full control first.

Post a full set of current test results.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temp

What test kit are you using. Add that to your signature.

Don't add any "extras" right now. Get your algae issue under full control first.

FC 8
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 90
CH 375
CYA 70
Salt 4000
Water temp 83

Using TF100 kit

Given those test results and a successful OCLT, you probably have minimal circulation in those areas. Having the water features on does take away from the amount of return flow available to the optimal circulation pattern. Looks like you will have to keep up extra brushing on those areas or possibly turning off the water features to see if that helps.

I will try that thanks. Do you think adding borates would help slow the algae down to where I would only have to brush once a week or less?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.