Major Coping Flaking

rumcglot

Silver Supporter
Feb 13, 2019
Texas
Hi Everyone,

My coping has always been flaking some, but after our big freeze a couple of weeks ago, a huge amount of layers flaked off. most ended up in the pool, but I get some bushed off the other direction.

IMG_3654.JPGIMG_3653.JPG

My wife feels that the flaking got worst after I converted to a SWCG, but maybe it was coincidental.

I know TFP members will recommend sealing the coping to help with its erosion. Is that a worthwhile thing to do with this stuff? If so, how do I go about it? Any recommendation on how I'd find someone that can do it?

Thanks for your assessment and advice.

Last edited:
Rum,

Is that flagstone coping?? If so, that is what cheap flagstone will do..

I have flagstone coping at a rent house pool and it was flaking long before I converted to saltwater.. It has been flaking now for over 10 years.

I can see how our recent freeze would make it worse, as water gets into the cracks and then expands when cold.

I really doubt sealing will make any difference.. I will never use flagstone again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don't know exactly what this stuff is besides crappy for this application. My wife is ready to rip it up and replace it with something better. :shock: Yikes, that seems like a big job.

On the plus side, I guess my sand filter is constantly getting replinished with fresh grit.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.