Major backyard/pool reno project planning - getting started - advice appreciated!

Ok I've been working on a sketch design for the entire back yard transformation, here's a picture of what we have so far:

db87d73079c650b9175db0249df1a6e3.jpg

I would ask any builder that is quoting separately for an svrs and a pump why not go with a pump like pentair that has a built in svrs. Depending on local codes this might also not requiring elimination of the main drain. Rather than eliminating drain I would also check about an unblockable drain, that should be way less than quoted cost to remove drain. In my opinion plumbing quotes seem high (depending on the length of run)for the deck being already removed.

Who did u end up meeting with for Coronado? How did u like them? I only dealt with the office girl and thier crew since it was a sub out from my builder. How was thier pricing compared to others in ur area?

Who did u end up meeting with for Coronado? How did u like them? I only dealt with the office girl and thier crew since it was a sub out from my builder. How was thier pricing compared to others in ur area?

Jim, yes I met with Edgar from Conorado for my site survey and have already received a quote from them. Edgar was very cordial and very knowledgeable. Their pricing for tile/coping/resurfacing was less expensive than A&S for plaster/quartz/pebble, and both were considerably less than Pebbletec brand from another vendor. If you are interested in specific pricing data, PM me and I'm happy to share. :)

The only downside I can see with Coronado in my area (not sure if this applies to other areas they service), is they don't handle adding water features or replacing existing pool plumbing and/or equipment for pool renovations. I therefore have to find someone else to handle adding any water features (waterfalls, grottos, water walls, deck jets, tanning decks, fountains, etc.), pool plumbing, and equipment replacement/upgrades. I've found a vendor that handles waterfalls/grottos/water walls already, and am probably going to handle the equipment upgrades myself, so I'm left looking to find someone to handle the plumbing runs once the decking has been pulled up as I'm looking to add a new skimmer, a couple of new returns, and replace lines for the existing skimmer and returns. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Coronado also offers a LOT more tile, coping and resurfacing options when compared to the other pool renovators I have dealt with to date, particularly for tile selection. If I can coordinate another local vendor to handle my pool plumbing needs, I will probably select Coronado for my re-tiling, re-coping and resurfacing needs.

- - - Updated - - -

That uses up your area in a great way! Lots of areas to sit and relax as well as areas to get to and from the pool. Nice job!

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! It's a work in progress but I feel like we're homing in on a final back yard design for our transformation project! Now we just have to figure out how to phase all of the work and then how to finance some of it! :)

I would ask any builder that is quoting separately for an svrs and a pump why not go with a pump like pentair that has a built in svrs. Depending on local codes this might also not requiring elimination of the main drain. Rather than eliminating drain I would also check about an unblockable drain, that should be way less than quoted cost to remove drain. In my opinion plumbing quotes seem high (depending on the length of run)for the deck being already removed.

LVP, I will follow up on the SVRS piece per your advice. Everything tends to be on the expensive side here in the mid-atlantic for sure.

Question on Pebbletec vs Stonescapes and other pebble based products. Pebbletec seems to be quite a bit more expensive than other pebble based products. I've got one quote from a Pebbletec vendor for a resurface at 15k just for the Pebbletec - doesn't include tile or coping. I have other quotes for NPT Stonescapes at anywhere from 7500-10000 in comparison. Is the Pebbletec really worth the difference? If so, why? All of the samples look almost identical to me, whether Pebbletec or NPT or others.

I'm assuming they still all use some type of plaster mix along with the pebbles to bond to the surface. I kinda get a sense that paying for Pebbletec is like buying name brand vs generic?

I am not 100% sure but think you are on the right track. I think that Pebbletec can ONLY be installed by "factory approved/trained" installers. I am going to put a call into one of our experts and see what he has to say.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Both of you are correct. Pebble Tec is the high end of pebble finishes and can only be purchased and installed by certified applicators. Stonescapes is an NPT product that anyone can buy and install.

With pebble Tec you get higher quality control and support through the whole process, you just have to decide if it's worth the added expense.

Both of you are correct. Pebble Tec is the high end of pebble finishes and can only be purchased and installed by certified applicators. Stonescapes is an NPT product that anyone can buy and install.

With pebble Tec you get higher quality control and support through the whole process, you just have to decide if it's worth the added expense.

Got it and thanks. I have found a very reputable pool company, Coronado, in our area that specializes in NPT products and has very positive feedback. I don't feel Pebbletec is worth 100% more on price and value. I just found a pool in another thread that has the look we are after using a midnight blue mini pebble NPT finish. I'm 95% certain we have found our pool finish and color!

6b9f272b892d49640b660cc667977c87.jpg

f11f64b912e923d7081f9a39d6a6465b.jpg

We have also found our water feature installer that we will be using for our grotto and waterfall. Here's a YouTube video of a grotto similar to what we will be doing over top of our deep end swim out:

https://youtu.be/rvRMwK0-YH8

Ours will be a bit different in that we will also have a waterfall both above the grotto, and another down the right side next to it. Here's a video of grotto that has a waterfall above it as an example:

https://youtu.be/-Y875uyws00

So, we are making progress on design decisions and identifying our vendors for the various job components. I'm starting to feel like a GC overseeing all of the contractors! [emoji6]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.