Main pump ties to booster pump

SteveTN

Aug 2, 2016
Lexington TN
My booster pump is apparently tied to the main pump in my control panel. That is, when the main pump is off the booster pump doesn't run even if the button is on. I realize this is a good thing but have a question.

The control panel turns on the main pump when the air temperature gets to 35F. QUESTION: If I set the booster schedule to run 24 hours so that it will run whenever the main pump comes on, will it hurt anything? Or does the booster just think it's off?

Thanks

There may be a setting in the ET control software that allows what equipment is activated when freeze protection is on. You should be able to select the filter pump (default), booster pump, any secondary pump (water feature), etc.
@Jimrahbe can clarify or show screenshot.

Steve,

My pumps all run 24/7, so I don't use the normal Freeze Control..

But I do use freeze control to turn on a small heater in my equipment shed..

The point being is that you can set any "Circuit" to be "On with Freeze"..

Just set the Booster pump circuit to on with freeze and you should be good to go.

If you don't have ScreenLogic it is ..

Menu, Setting, Circuit Function, find the Circuit you want, then Freeze Yes or No.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: HermanTX
My booster pump is apparently tied to the main pump in my control panel. That is, when the main pump is off the booster pump doesn't run even if the button is on. I realize this is a good thing but have a question.

The control panel turns on the main pump when the air temperature gets to 35F. QUESTION: If I set the booster schedule to run 24 hours so that it will run whenever the main pump comes on, will it hurt anything? Or does the booster just think it's off?

Thanks
It can hurt the booster if the main pump is opened for service and then turned on. The booster will also turn on with it the way you want it connected, but it will be running dry until the main pump primes. That will be the case any time the main pump starts the way you describe as most systems still need up to a minute to fully prime each filter cycle. This will cause damage to the shaft seal each time. Though it will be a small amount of damage, the pump will start leaking water and damage the motor bearings.

Having a system set up that way will also wear out the Polaris much faster as well. According to Polaris, a cleaner set to run 3 hours per day will travel +/- 2500 miles per year in the pool. With a single-speed pump, most pools ae set to run at least 6 hours a day. Have the booster run that amount also will cause the cleaner to run up to 5000 miles. Not sure what would be accomplished running a pool that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.