Main pump losing prime over night.

Flippy

Jan 8, 2011
Richmond, Texas
Howdy All -

In the last week I noticed that my main pool pump is not holding prime over night. When I turn on the pump there are a lot of bubbles in the pool until the air is flushed out of the system. The pump catches prime and fills with water within 30 seconds. When the pump is running I see zero air in the strainer basket looking through the top. If I turn off the pump it will hold the prime for several hours at least but not overnight. I do not see any water anywhere around the equipment pad. I have tightened down all parts and even replaced the o rings on the pump for the strainer basket and drain plugs. I walked the yard and cannot see any areas that are wet but of course I cannot see under the decking. I also haven't noticed any significant loss of water from the pool nor have I used any excess water according to my water bill. Anyone have any ideas where to look next?

An air leak does not automatically mean a water leak too. It could just be the pump lid gasket. Sometimes, they will seal well under suction but after the pump is off, they don't seal as well so leak air in. Other possibilities are the pump drain plugs and filter. After turning off the pump, listen close to the filter to hear any bubbles rising up. Otherwise, lube the lid and drain plug gaskets with pool lube and see if that helps.

An air leak does not automatically mean a water leak too. It could just be the pump lid gasket. Sometimes, they will seal well under suction but after the pump is off, they don't seal as well so leak air in. Other possibilities are the pump drain plugs and filter. After turning off the pump, listen close to the filter to hear any bubbles rising up. Otherwise, lube the lid and drain plug gaskets with pool lube and see if that helps.

Thanks, I will try it again tomorrow. The drain plug o-rings are new but the pump lid gasket I swapped with another pump which doesn't lose prime even after the swap. The filter is a possibility and I did try to listen for bubble rising but it takes hours for the pump to lose prime. Maybe a new o-ring for the filter too.

If it is the filter, the filter has to drain before you would see the pump basket start to drain. So on startup there would be a lot of air coming out of the returns.

If it is the filter, the filter has to drain before you would see the pump basket start to drain. So on startup there would be a lot of air coming out of the returns.

Actually you bring up a good point as it is almost like I just cleaned the filter and started the pump back up when it comes on in the morning. Lots of huge bubbles. I ordered a new o ring gasket for the filter and will replace that this weekend and see what happens. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

That only works if the air leak occurs when the pump is on. This one leaks only when the pump is off and very slowly as well.

Correct this only happens when the pump is off and at that happens very slowly. Like it takes hours to happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.