Main drains plugged

Bonaboo1

Sep 29, 2019
Foley, Al.
My gunite 17000 gal. salt gen. pool was leaking water all the way down so I knew it was MD. I dove to place plugs in both MD the leak stopped, now I am totally lost on how to set the valves as I need pool school to configure the spa and skimmer and MD until I can pay upwards of $5000.00 for repair most likely. My first question is if I have accidently turned the wrong valve and the MD is "on" what are the ramifications, consequently I just turned the whole filter down. I just got the pool so pretty and I need advice to run strictly off skimmer. My heater and polaris are no longer in use I believe no problem as they are at far end of pump lines and the valves are all on off. I think I may need to take pictures of the line structure so you'll see which goes where for me, I cant tell you how much I am appreciative I would be.

Welcome to TFP.

Pics of your equipment and valves would help us understand your situation.

Boo,

We need to see pics of what valves you have leading into your pump...

That said, I would not spend any money to fix a broken main drain... Thousands and thousands of pools have no main drain, or an inoperable main drain, and they all work just fine. Even when a main drain works, the best set up is 90% skimmer and only 10% main drain, so you can see it is not too important.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Abandon the main drain until you do a replaster and deal with it then. (Cap and get rid of.) A sump pump and a robot are less expensive options than perform all the functions of the drain.

If you turn your pump on to 100% main drain and if it's plugged the pump will not have any pressure, turn it off and turn the valve the other way and try again.

Welcome to TFP.

Boo,

That said, I would not spend any money to fix a broken main drain... Thousands and thousands of pools have no main drain, or an inoperable main drain, and they all work just fine. Even when a main drain works, the best set up is 90% skimmer and only 10% main drain, so you can see it is not too important.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Welcome to TFP.

Welcome to TFP.

I have plugged both MDs and could use help for using skimmer only. I also am replacing cell need to know where to set valves there also far left pic. I have a water fall spa and sometimes spa drains others times not, I'm so confused. Thank goodness for people like you in this world today giving stress relief to people with such a large problem in their lives. Have a Blessed day.

Attachments

• 20190929_105707.jpg
    20190929_105707.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 14
You need to give us some wider pics of the equipment and pipes so we can see the entire water flow.

Are there any labels on the pipes or valves?

Boo,

Thanks,

Jim R.
If you can guide me to the right handle position on the valves from the right to the left I think it will solve my problems. I am replacing cell today if you can guide the last valves far left and to note my spa sometimes drains out and others not at all like now it has not drained overnite the way it's set.
Thank goodness for people like you to be so big hearted to help people in such stress. Have a Blessed day.
Boo

Attachments

• 20190929_105707.jpg
    20190929_105707.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 11
You need to give us some wider pics of the equipment and pipes so we can see the entire water flow.

Are there any labels on the pipes or valves?
This site cannot send larger pics it keeps denying me. Have you tapped on pic and spread content? When I pull up photo on site and tap I'm able to zoom in. Let me know--if not perhaps I can go out and give you sequels from right to left.
Thanks Boo

You need to turn off HDR on your phone camera. HDR makes pics too large for our server.

if we don’t understand how your entire system works we can’t give you advice that is safe for your equipment.

You need to turn off HDR on your phone camera. HDR makes pics too large for our server.

if we don’t understand how your entire system works we can’t give you advice that is safe for your equipment.
Just let me know if your not able to see labels open close I'll get closer and higher on filter also if needed. Sorry I don't know what HDR meant I turned it off hope it works. I have 3 more coming.20190929_105707.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
More pics
The handles do have open close
1st on r is arrow to the left iopen top and bottom I believe it is the spa or skimmer
2nd is arrow facing r open top and bottom I'm not sure I've been treating it like both MDs and since its plugged I think it needs to change
3rd I'm not sure at all thinking it should get the cell action.

Attachments

• 20190929_142217.jpg
    20190929_142217.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190929_142623.jpg
    20190929_142623.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 11
Gave a shot at this... I don't have a spa or heater, so I might be off on some of the left side items.

Suggest you open the first two on the right to allow skimmers to get water into the pump. Leave the main drain closed since you sealed those in the pool. Everything else in the picture should be open. If there is anything else off to the left... then it would likely be spa controls.

20190929_142217.jpg

Last edited:
Ok not sure what handle turns which way but you marked 2 skimmers I only have 1 skimmer.
I hope to be correct in the MD that you marked should stay closed the rest I'm thinking I cant harm anything.
Why did water come into my spa so hard it sprayed all out of spa, perhaps a build up of air maybe.
Can you help me if you can make a guess at the handles from right to left which should be open and does the arrows have anything involved with the way water flows?

How many drains in the pool and spa altogether?

Maybe Skimmer 1 or 2 is actually drain from spa? You will need to test each one turned on by itself to determine which is the skimmer, which is the pool drain and which is the spa drain. Basically keep the pool drain in the off position (where they all are now). Turn the other two up or down to the on position. The arrow (and handle) should cover, or point to, the word to identify its actual position. All of these 3 are currently "OFF".

The arrows indicate water flow. All 3 on the right are water coming from the pool into the pump, then into the filter. Out of the filter goes to the pool returns, the pool pressure side booster pump, and the spa heater. The other down pipe is either a spa return or a water feature.

As for the spray out of the spa... if the waterline is below the returns/jets it will shoot out hard.

Definitely do NOT run the pump(s) without opening 1 or more of those inlet valves (skimmer/drains). Running a pump dry will damage it very quickly.

How many drains in the pool and spa altogether?

Maybe Skimmer 1 or 2 is actually drain from spa? You will need to test each one turned on by itself to determine which is the skimmer, which is the pool drain and which is the spa drain. Basically keep the pool drain in the off position (where they all are now). Turn the other two up or down to the on position. The arrow (and handle) should cover, or point to, the word to identify its actual position. All of these 3 are currently "OFF".

The arrows indicate water flow. All 3 on the right are water coming from the pool into the pump, then into the filter. Out of the filter goes to the pool returns, the pool pressure side booster pump, and the spa heater. The other down pipe is either a spa return or a water feature.

As for the spray out of the spa... if the waterline is below the returns/jets it will shoot out hard.

Definitely do NOT run the pump(s) without opening 1 or more of those inlet valves (skimmer/drains). Running a pump dry will damage it very quickly.
JC
You are the best I fully understand I wont mess this up hopefully not having to bother you again, it may seem dumb but im 67 and no one to help me, my memory is sometimes but now I have a diagram to keep - your a God send again I'm very greatfull.
Thank you,
Bona

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.