Axe Maddock

May 25, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good afternoon. I bought this house last summer with a fiberglass pool about ten to fifteen years of age. The owners who installed and the previous it are out of contact. Water quality and retention levels are very nice.
The skimmer’s main drain inlet is capped. Yesterday I investigated and opened the main drain cover. The drain is on the wall almost five feet deep, directly beneath the skimmer. Sand/silt is settled immediately behind the cover. It doesn’t look like San Antonio soil. The pool holds water very well. I injected food coloring and none drifted towards the sand. I do suspect the occasional sand I vacuum up may be from this.
Does anyone have similar experience? I want to tune this up and pull water from the drain in addition to the top, but not if disturbing this packed and plugged pipe awakens a leak. Perhaps why it was capped? I fear unthreading the cap will unleash the sand down into the pool and unblocking what may be an effective plug.
Would a severed or cracked pipe fill with sand or backfill? Wouldn’t water pressure force sand away?
Sharing similar experience or insight will be appreciated.
Thank you!

Axe,

How many pipes tie together and go into your pump?

Are you sure the main drain does not go back to the equipment pad?

I find it hard to believe that your main drain line would be full of sand..

Show us some pics of your equipment pad and the pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Would a severed or cracked pipe fill with sand or backfill?
That was my first thought. Welcome to TFP!: In our area, we are used to the black gumbo clay soil. When you see pure sand, it's probably the backfill. That's how mine was in stalled seven years ago. That would also explain why the drain and 2nd hole in the bottom of the skimmer (to the drain) were plugged. Repairing a drain line usually isn't worth the trouble. Your pool will operate just fine off the skimmer alone. Hope that helps. Make sure to secure the patio furniture. More storms seem to be on their way again. Ugh.

Axe,

How many pipes tie together and go into your pump?

Are you sure the main drain does not go back to the equipment pad?

I find it hard to believe that your main drain line would be full of sand..

Show us some pics of your equipment pad and the pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Good evening. There is one pipe exiting the earth joining the pump, and one that returns. Attached are three photos: the pad, the skimmer, and the drain faceplate. (The debris around the faceplate are from last night’s storms, not the drain.)
Thank you.

Attachments

• 6372A436-EE2E-44EF-BA48-C7188CF1CBDE.jpeg
    6372A436-EE2E-44EF-BA48-C7188CF1CBDE.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 18
  • FE37D8CB-2D38-4EF7-BDBA-18A413C3C7F9.jpeg
    FE37D8CB-2D38-4EF7-BDBA-18A413C3C7F9.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 7B8829C5-8E0B-44DF-B570-1EB195F196A6.jpeg
    7B8829C5-8E0B-44DF-B570-1EB195F196A6.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 18
Axe,

Thanks for the pics.. It is pretty clear that any main drain would have to be connected into the bottom of the skimmer.

I would have to assume, just like you have, that the main drain line must be damaged and capped off.. The part the puzzles me is that normally when a main drain is leaking, capping off the skimmer does not fix the leak,, Is there also a plug at the cover in the bottom of the pool?

If this were my pool I would just leave the main drain capped off and just use the skimmer. I say that because I have two rent house pools and neither have an operating main drain, and they work just fine..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Axe,

Thanks for the pics.. It is pretty clear that any main drain would have to be connected into the bottom of the skimmer.

I would have to assume, just like you have, that the main drain line must be damaged and capped off.. The part the puzzles me is that normally when a main drain is leaking, capping off the skimmer does not fix the leak,, Is there also a plug at the cover in the bottom of the pool?

If this were my pool I would just leave the main drain capped off and just use the skimmer. I say that because I have two rent house pools and neither have an operating main drain, and they work just fine..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you. There is not a cap behind the cover plate in the pool, just sand/silt. Like you, this confuses me. Perhaps enough sand impeded the leak, and pursuing this further will awaken a beast. Perhaps I will plug the drain at the bottom too and be done with it. We have crystal clear water, and can be happy with that. Sadly I suffer from curiosity. Good night.

Sadly I suffer from curiosity.
This is a tough call. Besides driving you crazy with wondering, Not probing further could lead to troubles if it isn’t sealed properly (done so on purpose instead of it accidentally sealed itself by shear luck with backfill material). But if you do investigate further you may disturb something that magically sealed itself and create a whole new mess to deal with, Oftentimes in an emergency like situation because your pool drains faster than you can fill it. Trades people are a little backed up due to the virus at the moment so the Calvary won’t be coming anytime soon if you need them.

what to do ????

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.