Main drain in easy set pool

Jul 14, 2018
DEPTFORD
I know this may be crazy but im gong to attempt to put a main drain in an easy set this year. last year i replaces my inlets with diretionals , and every day when i came home from work any garbage in the bottom was all balled up in a neat little pile in the center, do to the whirlpool action my new inlets provided, so i would vacuum, but just cant help but think if i install i main in the bottom it will eliminate most of my vac needs. is this crazy? im actually going to get a few bags of vermiculite and give it a proper bowled bottom and use an above ground main plumbed hard under it, and switch to flex when it gets out of the footprint of the pool . just let me know if anybody has tried this or if im just being insane lol . i thank you all in advance for the brutal honesty lol.

I know this may be crazy but im gong to attempt to put a main drain in an easy set this year. last year i replaces my inlets with diretionals , and every day when i came home from work any garbage in the bottom was all balled up in a neat little pile in the center, do to the whirlpool action my new inlets provided, so i would vacuum, but just cant help but think if i install i main in the bottom it will eliminate most of my vac needs. is this crazy? im actually going to get a few bags of vermiculite and give it a proper bowled bottom and use an above ground main plumbed hard under it, and switch to flex when it gets out of the footprint of the pool . just let me know if anybody has tried this or if im just being insane lol . i thank you all in advance for the brutal honesty lol.
I would put a vacuum hose with a weighted head in the center, on the inlet to the pump/filter, and see if it does what you want before you attempt a drain (which I'm not sure how well that would work) ;)

Sounds like a job for a poolblaster, with the fine silt bag. No hoses to wrestle. Probably costs less than the plumbing, too. It attaches to the pool pole, or you can swim around with it chasing the strays.

dtxbanner2_-_Copy_58e7c055-3656-4665-a0aa-4a861ae30221.jpg

vacuuming isnt an issue. i use the intex with a gine silt bag and it works great. just trying to make it so i dont have to every day. which may not be possible. but im not sure about the movement issue. i am pretty sure that thing sits put once filled. hey im out a little money if it fails. but could be a winner. if i try it ill post for sure!

Brutal honesty is that above ground pools don't come with main drains for a reason, doubly so for the more inexpensive ones like Intex. Your money would be much better spent trying to install a skimmer and/or upgrading the pump and filter.

What kind of debris is this? Having to vacuum daily is not the norm and sounds like a problem that might be unrelated to filtration.

vacuuming isnt an issue. i use the intex with a gine silt bag and it works great. just trying to make it so i dont have to every day. which may not be possible. but im not sure about the movement issue. i am pretty sure that thing sits put once filled. hey im out a little money if it fails. but could be a winner. if i try it ill post for sure!
Do you have a drops test kit?
The TF-100 might be overkill for a starter pool, but walmart has a basic HTH starter test kit (you'd need to find & purchase FAS-DPD test kit)

i have a few trees very close. there is various garbage coming off of them. my chemicals are absolutely no problem. i use the tfp method and had absolutely no outbreaks or other major problems at all to speak of. ( realizing i just jinxed myself for this year lol)

• Haha
Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.