Main drain delete normal when installing new skimmer?

Drip

Jun 15, 2021
So cal
Pool Size
Currently renovating my pool and the contractors decided that it was best to delete the connection to the new skimmer to the main drain because the "cooper piping was corroding". They instead created a hole about a foot under the skimmer to add the sidewall suction.

Is this normal?

I thought it was a little bizarre that they didn't ask if we want to keep the main drain as an option but went ahead and completed the delete.

Pools do not require main drains and most now are not built with them.. I am not using one when I build mine.. You really do not want a copper pipe corroding into your pool creating staining :)

Reactions: Drip
Hey Drip and Welcome !!! I am one of the few fans of main drains here, but I would side with the contractors on this one. The copper pipes did you well for decades, but there is no telling of they’d make another 15 years to the next remodel. You certainly wouldn’t want to be doing this again at 5 (?) years. You also probably don’t want to rip up the shell to install new plumbing now so it’s a sad no-brainer for me. Thank the main drain for its service and move on. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.