Main drain delete during liner replacement due to pressure test showing a leak. What issues could I encounter after I open the pool this Spring?

m a hanson

Apr 25, 2021
Central New York
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My inground pool is old (1975), I've have been slowly upgrading stuff to the pool as my finances allow. So this fall I had the liner replaced and the bottom was resurfaced. (sand bottom) During the pressure test they found the main drain line was leaking, I don't have the budget to dig up the lines and redo them, so they said it would be okay to delete it and just use the skimmer. I just need to make sure the water level is always adequate. I have the one skimmer and two jets. I don't have pics of the new liner installed, I was in a hurry to get it tarped after they were done. (They added the chlorine, and did the draining of the pump and lines but I did the tarp to save myself some money.)
So with pool season in sight, I have new worries that I may have caused myself a huge issue because I'm still learning. I have taught myself to open the pool, now need to close the pool in it's entirety. Doing the tarp was my biggest hurdle as I have only myself. I have figured out a system where I can do it pretty efficiently in an hour or two. ( Blowing out the line(s) was my biggest concern, but I've watched two years in a row, and been on here and watching YT videos and it looks doable to me now, plus I can't find one person I can depend on to call every season. )

So give me your input, but keep the snark to yourselves unless you want to gift me 150k so I can tear out my pool and I can build what I want.

Many people choose not to have floor drains when they build or delete theirs because of an issue like you had.
It will be fine so long as they completely closed it off & it is totally isolated/removed from the plumbing.
Here’s a good thread about the subject

Reactions: m a hanson
Many people choose not to have floor drains when they build or delete theirs because of an issue like you had.
It will be fine so long as they completely closed it off & it is totally isolated/removed from the plumbing.
Here’s a good thread about the subject
Thank you. Yes they did. It's a reputable pool company that did the liner, resurfacing and closing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.