Richland, WA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
My inground pool has one main drain in the deep end that I believe is attached to the skimmer basket. I have no valves where I can switch the pump to draw water from either the skimmer or the main drain.

Last night, I had the main drain cover break and am looking for a replacement. The cover was flat and measures at 7 1/4 inch outside diameter with a 6 3/4 inch distance between 2 screw holes. Everything I see online is for 8 inch covers.

1. Any ideas on how I can find a replacement?
2. With the configuration of my plumbing, is the main drain safe to prevent entrapment? I don't believe I've ever been able to get much water to the pump from that drain as the pump will begin to run dry if the water level falls below the intake of the skimmer basket.

thanks,
Patrick

My inground pool has one main drain in the deep end that I believe is attached to the skimmer basket.

Remove your skimmer basket and look into the skimmer and see if you have one open pipe or two on the bottom?

Last night, I had the main drain cover break and am looking for a replacement. The cover was flat and measures at 7 1/4 inch outside diameter with a 6 3/4 inch distance between 2 screw holes. Everything I see online is for 8 inch covers.

1. Any ideas on how I can find a replacement?

Let's see if the pros have ideas - @1poolman1 @ferretbone @Poolbreh @Pool Clown

2. With the configuration of my plumbing, is the main drain safe to prevent entrapment? I don't believe I've ever been able to get much water to the pump from that drain as the pump will begin to run dry if the water level falls below the intake of the skimmer basket.

In most normal conditions probably not. But you cannot say with 100% certainty.

I would plug the main drain pipe in the skimmer until you get a VGBA compliant cover on the drain.

It sounds like the cover that broke was not VGBA compliant.

SDX Retro is a VGB compliant cover that comes with an adapter that will fit the existing holes you have. It will mount over the top of the existing mounting place that is in the plaster. Have used many, they work (including my spa main drain).

Attachments

• 1657036832059.png
    1657036832059.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 9
SDX Retro is a VGB compliant cover that comes with an adapter that will fit the existing holes you have. It will mount over the top of the existing mounting place that is in the plaster. Have used many, they work (including my spa main drain).

Remove your skimmer basket and look into the skimmer and see if you have one open pipe or two on the bottom?

Let's see if the pros have ideas - @1poolman1 @ferretbone @Poolbreh @Pool Clown

In most normal conditions probably not. But you cannot say with 100% certainty.

I would plug the main drain pipe in the skimmer until you get a VGBA compliant cover on the drain.

It sounds like the cover that broke was not VGBA compliant.
There are 2 open pipes at the bottom of the skimmer. The former cover seemed to be original, so it definitely was not compliant as the pool was built in the 1970s.
I swam down to the drain while the pump was running and feel no suction at all at the pipe.

There are 2 open pipes at the bottom of the skimmer. The former cover seemed to be original, so it definitely was not compliant as the pool was built in the 1970s.
I swam down to the drain while the pump was running and feel no suction at all at the pipe.
Without a "float valve" or a very clogged skimmer basket, there will never be enough suction at the main drain to be felt. That's not a bad thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.