Magic Muriatic Acid ?

dblko

Jun 20, 2012
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Went to Leslie's to restock on Muriatic acid, but instead of the usual stuff they only had so called "magic" muriatic acid, Pool Care | Buy Safer Muriatic Acid Here , which uses some special proprietary formula for the acid to produce less fumes and be safer to handle. I'm not particularly fond of putting anything 'proprietary' into the pool that does not list all additives. I have a salt water generator, I rarely use any other chemicals at all outside acid. It does however state to be safe for use in "drinking water treatment" which is somewhat comforting. Would be interested in hearing some experiences and option about the product.

I've not seen that one before. @Donldson have you?
Was just getting to that ;)

Here's a 2017 post on the subject: User Friendly "Acid Magic" vs Muriatic Acid
Acid Magic has been discussed many times on TFP in the past. It basically muriatic acid (unknown strength) that is buffered using proprietary phosphate containing buffers that can, but don't necessarily, breakdown into phosphates. It may also contain a cationic surfactant in it that suppresses fumes.

Short answer - why the heck would anyone pay $13/gal (3 times the price if regular strength MA) for something that is hardly anymore safe to use???

Reactions: Texas Splash
Another unique feature of Acid Magic is that it seems to be the only Muriatic Acid type product that is easily shipped. I discovered this when I was trying to figure out how to maintain quarantine and keep my pool pH down.

Ultimately, the cost and mystery made me decide on Leslie's curbside pickup for my acid instead of getting a bottle of Acid Magic shipped.

If anyone knows how to get un-enhanced MA shipped to me, let me know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.