User Friendly "Acid Magic" vs Muriatic Acid

Drd

Bronze Supporter
Jun 21, 2017
AZ
I ran into this product that touts how much easier and safer to use than Muriatic Acid yet you get the same results 1:1 but I have not heard any mention of this as an alternative to Muriatic Acid other than a reduced strength one so you have to buy more or using the powdered acid which you have to mix. I would think this would be the safer one to use and it appears to cost about 13.00 gallon. I would put safety ahead of cost when it comes to working and or storing acids. What is the opinion of this forum?

• Less fumes 90%
  • Little to no corrosion caused by fumes
  • Can't burn intact skin
  • Better for the environment
  • 1 to 1 replacement means ease of conversion

Need our resident chemist ---

Magic acid is a superacid consisting of a mixture, most commonly in a 1:1 molar ratio, of fluorosulfuric acid and antimony pentafluoride.

*ACID Magic should not be used to aid or effect any pool disinfectant product or other water modifier

Not sure how that will work in pool water ---------

Good question! My one stop "has all" store only had the "safer" acid. I could not find any % strength on it so I went to my local Ace hardware store. They had both but they only had a few quarts left of the 31.45% MA. I grabbed 2 quarts of the REAL MA.

Acid Magic has been discussed many times on TFP in the past. It basically muriatic acid (unknown strength) that is buffered using proprietary phosphate containing buffers that can, but don't necessarily, breakdown into phosphates. It may also contain a cationic surfactant in it that suppresses fumes.

Short answer - why the heck would anyone pay $13/gal (3 times the price if regular strength MA) for something that is hardly anymore safe to use???

Believe me, I have industrial hygiene and chemical safety training (14 years worth), muriatic acid is not as dangerous as everyone thinks it is. I consider a bottle of bleach to be way more dangerous than MA.

I'm no chemist, but it looks like it is the same, but with buffering agents and less impurities. It is used for pools to increase the PH. Muriatic acid is an industrial version of hydrochloric acid. Magic acid has less impurities and a buffering agents that can not burn intact skin. It also has 90% less fumes. So it sounds like he steered you in the right direction. But be Super careful. That stuff is very dangerous. Do NOT mix it with anything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.