Lulupalooza 1st TEST w/T-100

JasonLion said:
That is a reasonable starting place. Now you need to add chlorine, baking soda for the TA and stabilizer/conditioner for the CYA.

So I am estimating the pool being 17100 gallons if I fill it 48 inches. It's telling me to add 142oz chlorine bleach, 321 oz of baking soda and assuming the CYA is about 10ish about 68 oz of stabilizer.

I would start with about 200 oz of baking soda to get into the 70 to 90 range. Also, you probably want to add the CYA in two steps and test in between to see where you are. That will take longer, but helps you avoid over shooting. Otherwise you numbers look reasonable.

Also, keep in mind that with your current low CYA level the chlorine will go away quite quickly. Once the CYA starts to dissolve you will need a higher FC level, but won't need as much bleach to maintain it.

lulupalooza said:
JasonLion said:
That is a reasonable starting place. Now you need to add chlorine, baking soda for the TA and stabilizer/conditioner for the CYA.

So I am estimating the pool being 17100 gallons if I fill it 48 inches. It's telling me to add 142oz chlorine bleach, 321 oz of baking soda and assuming the CYA is about 10ish about 68 oz of stabilizer.

1. I like the bleach amount.

2. I'd buy that much baking soda, but not put all of it in at once...probably 1/2 to 2/3 then wait 24 hours and test again.

3. You'll have 0 stabilizer as your starting point. If you're shooting for a target of 40ppm, you'll need about 5.5 lbs. Again I'd suggest putting in about 4 lbs, waiting three or four days, and then test for it again and adjust.

4. Keep in mind your chlorine will go away very quickly. you'll probably need to put in 1/2 gallon or so daily for the swim season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's my test for today

FC: 3
CC: 0.0
PH: 7.2
TA: 60
CH: 20
CYA: 30

I was wondering about the CH level. But with a vinyl pool does it matter? CYA is definately coming up and I haven't had to add any bleach since I put in that 1 large jug 3 days ago.

Thanks Dave. I went ahead and added 1/2 of 174 oz bleach and the rest of the CYA about 1.5 lb. Hopefully that will rise the CYA levels where they need to be and I will retest that on Sunday.

Luckily our pool is pretty much half shaded all during the day until after 3 pm, so it's really only getting about 3-4 hours max of full sun per day.

Moved from another thread. JasonLion

lulupalooza said:
Ok I think we are on the ball here.

The blue test kit thingy says CL is 4-5 looks closer to 4
FC 3.5ppm
CC 0.5
TC 4.0 ( so I assume it means the blue test kit is correct?)
pH: 7.2 (doesn't seem like its moving despite adding 10 lbs baking soda over a period of the last 3 days. Though it might be about 7.3-7.4 range the color on the test thingy isn't as light as the 7.2 and isn't as dark as the 7.5)
TA is at 70

This morning I added 87 oz bleach and 38oz borax. I will check the CYA again prolly around Sunday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.