Lowering CYA

Cmcgrew

Jul 31, 2020
Kingwood, TX
Pool Size
Today is the day! We've been in our house for about a month now and our CYA level is consistently around 135/140. (The pool store says it's 100 and we have totally perfect water).
Anyway, we have a submersible pump that we have borrowed and are gonna go for it today. Here are some of my questions, as I have no idea what I'm doing...

Is it better to just drain it a bunch and then refill or should we drain and fill at the same time? Is there any risk in damaging the pool by removing the water (pebbletech lining)? I am trying to find step by step instructions but everyone seems to say something different! I'm so afraid of messing it up.

Finally...I hear horror stories about having your cya this high. However, our pool looks BEAUTIFUL and perfect!...fc level is around 4.8 only. It seems so strange that, from what I've read, our pool should be super green and cloudy. Anyone have insight about what's going on?

Your pool shell surface should be fine with a drain and refill at this time of year. What about water table? Do you have standing water nearby? My memory of Kingwood was that you are not near any sloughs or bayous. The concern there is the entire shell floating out of the ground.

If you are going to drain and then refill, it is best to rent a high power sump pump from Home Depot or other rental service. They will drain down at 3-4000 gph. You need to drain at least 10000 gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.