Lowering Chlorine Level

Seadweller

Aug 21, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
Morning gang!

Ever since installing my salt system, I've become less fastidious about testing the pool water due to a crazy schedule, so I'm lucky to check it once a week at best. Normally everything is in perfect balance, but the last time I checked it, my CYA was near 0, so I corrected that. Fast forward a couple of weeks, and the CYA is clearly protecting my chlorine! I tested my FC this morning, and it's at a 13. I guess the only thing keeping the FC in check before was the burn-off caused by a low CYA.

My pool seems to like an FC of 6 or 7. If it gets into the 3-5 range, I'll get patches of algae on the walls. I turned the salt system off this morning, and my question is, how many sunny, cool (low 80's day, high 60's night) days will it take for the chlorine to fall back to say an 8? I don't want it to overshoot to the downside, so I'd prefer to restart the salt system, and slowly reduce the operating time to get the FC back to it's ideal level.

I realize all pools are different, but generally speaking, would 1.5ppm per day be a good guesstimate? Perhaps 3 days without the system running?

Thanks!

That is a reasonable estimate at this time of year. I would check the FC level tomorrow evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.