EastHartford Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have been trying to lower my TA by using acid. I have added close to two gallons over a three week period. My PH is 7.2 to 7.6 my TA is 160 to 180. I used a Taylor test kit with reagent and have been to a pool store who tested the water the same way. I have a 19,450 gallon vinyl liner salt water pool.
Should I leave it and hope the TA will come down by itself? This is my third year with a pool. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!
Is there a specific reason you are working to lower the TA? Unless you have a reason (high CSI specifically), then just keep your pH in the 7's and the TA will resolve itself. Test the TA each time pH reaches 8 as you need the TA value in Poolmath to determine how much acid to use to lower the ph.
I suggest you read through Pool School - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Gary,

I agree with Marty, leave TA alone and just adjust pH as necessary.

If you just want to lower TA, you need a lot of acid in a relative short period of time. Not over a 3-week period. You test, aerate, add acid, test, aerate, add acid, over and over. Takes me about two days.

Thanks,

Jim R,

Welcome to the forum!
Is there a specific reason you are working to lower the TA? Unless you have a reason (high CSI specifically), then just keep your pH in the 7's and the TA will resolve itself. Test the TA each time pH reaches 8 as you need the TA value in Poolmath to determine how much acid to use to lower the ph.
I suggest you read through Pool School - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
Thank you I think I’ll just leave it for now. I was worried about my equipment I was told high ta could cause trouble especially with my heater. I look at the pool school and check out the videos.
Gary,

I agree with Marty, leave TA alone and just adjust pH as necessary.

If you just want to lower TA, you need a lot of acid in a relative short period of time. Not over a 3-week period. You test, aerate, add acid, test, aerate, add acid, over and over. Takes me about two days.

Thanks,

Jim R,
thanks Jim, I’ll take your advice. I’ll keep an eye on the ph. I was worried about my heater. The alkalinity reading shouldn’t bother my pool equipment?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.