Los Angeles, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I use TF-100 test kit. Two months ago my CYA was 60. Today it is down to less than 20. I filled the CYA test tube to the top and the water is cloudy, but I can still see the black dot. I measured a second time with the same result. This is confusing because as far as I know CYA doesn't decrease. I have not used the pool at all this season, so no splash out. I barely even add any water because the solar cover really helps with evaporation. So the only thing I can think of is that the CYA reagent is bad. I got the kit in April. What else can make CYA decrease?

It's a fresh water 14,500 gal in-ground pool.

Here are my test results from 2 months ago:
FC 7
TC 7
CH 225
TA 100
CYA 60

Here are my results from today:
FC 2.5
TC 2.5
CH 175
TA 90
CYA < 20

I also used a test strip for comparison and stabilizer seems to be in the ideal range - 30-50ppm. Chlorine in this picture is higher because I did the test after adding chlorine.

20170805_185457.jpg

Be aware that CYA does degrade by 3-5 ppm per month. You have a greater drop than that, but degradation does occur.

There is also a +/- 10 ppm testing error no matter what.

I am not aware of that reagent ever being reported as bad. But you never know. Not sure I would believe a test strip other than it shows there is some CYA in the water, maybe.

I would add enough CYA to get back to the level you want.

There have been reports on this Forum that the Clorox brand of CYA has not raised the CYA to the level expected by the pool owner whom used it.

Take care.

You don't have the pools equipment outlined in your signature so I'm not sure if this applies but it might also be due to how much you may have needed to backflush the filter if it's sand. Each time you backflush you are kicking out some CYA.

I read that a couple of times but can't find the where Richard/Chemgeek mentions that?

"Some report rates of around 10 ppm CYA per month which is higher than the roughly 2-3 ppm CYA per month seen in pools not exposed to sunlight (or the 5 ppm CYA per month seen in hot spas) which would be the degradation rate from chlorine oxidation of CYA."

Richard talks about it in the context of spas and hot tubs due to the higher water temps. 3-5ppm/month is just a guesstimate made from some of the scientific literature on chlorine and CYA. There's no hard & fast rule. My pool has lost as much 10-12ppm per month during the hot, high UV season of May to July. I absolutely have NO water leaks and no algae but saw a 20ppm drop from late May to the middle of July.

It can happen. Just carefully add back the CYA 10ppm at a time so you don't overshoot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for your responses. Since I have no water turnover, CYA must be degrading over time. I'll just throw in a floater with a bunch of chlorine pucks to raise CYA for me. I still have half a bucket of those. I only use them when I need to increase CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.