Lincoln University, Pa
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I want to install low voltage lighting around the deck of our pool. After the deck was done last year and during sod laying, I put a low voltage direct burial wire around the deck in anticipation of adding lights. Well, I finally bought the lights and transformer. I opened the box and was reading the directions, and it said "do not install within 10 feet of a pool" :oops: . Some parts of the desired lighting location will be about 5 feet from the pool.

Is there really a safety issue locating lights closer then 10 feet from the pool, or is the light company just trying to "CYA"?

Steve,

In the world of common sense it is not much of a safety issue, as the landscape transformer would have to short internally causing the 120 VAC to jump over to the output line going to the lights for there to be a real safety concern. It would also have to do this magic without popping a circuit breaker.

That said, electrical codes require low voltage lights to be run from "pool rated" transformers, if within 5 feet of the water, which most landscape light are not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That said, electrical codes require low voltage lights to be run from "pool rated" transformers, if within 5 feet of the water, which most landscape light are not.
Yes to "pool rated". It can actually be less than 5ft from the internal wall of the pool: NFPA 70 (NEC 2020) 680.22(B)(7)
1653570960048.png

Steve,

In the world of common sense it is not much of a safety issue, as the landscape transformer would have to short internally causing the 120 VAC to jump over to the output line going to the lights for there to be a real safety concern. It would also have to do this magic without popping a circuit breaker.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. Would you do what I want to do on any of your pools?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.