Low temps, intermittent power High Pressure , No backwash

mkmorgantx

Feb 17, 2021
New Braunfels <TX
My sand filter is usually 15 to 20 psi. Temps dropped to record lows (single digits) and rolling blackouts have us on power for an hour, power off an hour. I had pump running continuously since the start. My pressure gauge is now pegged...shut off pump goes back to zero...turn on pump goes all the way around to zero. I tried to backwash but nothing happens. This was over the first night. I didnt think water could freeze that fast but I'm thinking maybe water froze in part of the system? Seems like water is still circulating. My filter is overdue for a sand change and had been seeping from the top ring last couple weeks...ok...months. Normally I would backflush and that would do the trick. I'm a little concerned about the pressure let alone trying to do anything to it while it is reading that high. I tried to heat the pipes but didnt work. Appreciate any suggestions

Welcome to TFP neighbor! :wave: Hopefully today and tomorrow morning will be the last of our cold weather woes. But for now, I wouldn't worry too much about what you're experiencing. If water is flowing through the system and out the return jets, that's most important. Maybe I'm not understanding your comment above " shut off pump goes back to zero...turn on pump goes all the way around to zero", but that sounds like maybe a bad pressure gauge. That's very common in freezing weather. If it is the gauge, checkout TFTestkits glycerin-filled gauges which are more reliable. Keep us posted and don't forget to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Include your test kit as well. Sleet & snow on the forecast for a few hours, so stay warm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.