Boston, Ma
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi I’m a second season pool owner running into low TA. I’ve been fighting lower pH this year and just looked at the TA this morning to find it at 50. This morning my FC is 7, CYA 80 and pH 7.2. Like I mentioned I’ve been encountering low pH all season. I know the CYA is high I use the pucks and shock with liquid chlorine. My pool is not salt-water and I use the recommended Taylor kit, not the 100 the other one.

Anyway I use the pool math app and it’s telling me to add 131oz or 8lbs, 3.0 oz of baking soda to increase my TA from 50 to 70. I’m confused by the different amounts and 8lbs seems like a lot. What do I specifically need to do to increase the TA? Meaning why is it giving me two different possibilities? Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith

131 oz is 8lbs, 3 oz.

Add that amount of baking soda to raise your TA to 70 ppm.

Stop using the pucks. They are adding CYA and are also acidic which is dropping your pH and TA.

Thanks. It’s easy for me to feel dumb and but I thought the 131 oz was referring to a liquid product. I should’ve done some division. I’m ready to move away from the pucks I think but what’s the alternative, adding some liquid chlorine every day?

Add liquid chlorine every day, install a Saltwater Chlorine Generator, or a Stenner pump/tank for automated liquid chlorine dispensing.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.