Low Suction in Skimmers

thaston

Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2023
Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Today, when checking my skimmmers, I noticed the water wasn’t flowing in to either one of them. It was like the skimmers were turned off. The baskets didn’t have much of anything in them. The pump was running fine and the pump basket had minimal debris in it, it certainly wasn’t clogged. I decided to turn the pump off and then back on because it runs at 100% speed for the first 10 minutes of being on, then reduces to 50% power. Just wanted to see if the situation would improve or stay the same. After I did that, everything is back to running as it should. This situation has happened once before, about a month ago. Any ideas what is going on? I would think if our skimmer lines had a clog, it wouldn’t have gone back to operating correctly when I turned it back on. Is it a pump issue? For reference, all the equipment , plumbing, etc. is nearly 2 years old. Zero issues last year.

Filter pressure changes with flow rate. So if filter pressure is not changing, the flow rate in the system is not changing so something isn't adding up. When the pump is on 50% speed, what is the filter pressure and when the flow rate changes, are you saying there is no change in filter pressure?

Is this your first multi-speed pump? On lower speeds, you often won't see a lot of action in the skimmer and skimming takes longer but it will eventually clear the pool.

Our filter gage stag at 0-1maybe 1. Honestly, I wonder if that thing works correctly
Filter pressure changes with flow rate. So if filter pressure is not changing, the flow rate in the system is not changing so something isn't adding up. When the pump is on 50% speed, what is the filter pressure and when the flow rate changes, are you saying there is no change in filter pressure?

Is this your first multi-speed pump? On lower speeds, you often won't see a lot of action in the skimmer and skimming takes longer but it will eventually clear the pool.I
Ok….so so am pretty sure our filter gage doesn’t work. I backwashed the filter, it didn’t move; rinsed the filter, didn’t move. It is sitting below zero. That can’t be right, can it?? Photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpeg
    IMG_0299.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 5
It is probably a bad gauge. A working pressure gauge is very important for troubleshooting and even general maintenance.

Good catch Dave.

If that gauge is like the Hayward I used to have, you can take the plastic cover off and move the needle to the other side but it may not fix the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.