Low speed prime

Jun 8, 2018
CT
How do you know if the 2 speed pump your looking to buy could prime itself on low start up?

Im trying to avoid buying a second 2 speed pump timer.

Id like to run my pool on low and use high only for cleaning.

The pump for your AGP should maintain prime when off if the equipment pad is below the water level. Does your current pump maintain prime?

When I 1st installed my 2-speed, low didn't remove all the air, but the water flow was low enough that the pump itself wasn't struggling for more water. Being on high for 30 seconds removed all the air, and it has maintained prime for the last 3 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

For your broken heater, you may want to just look for a HVAC guy rather than through a pool store or store front. A free (to you) service like thumbtack could put you in contact with several local technicians.

You would prime the pump on high after any time you open the system. Then the system should not lose prime. So starting and stopping on low is no big deal.
Ahhh... ok thanks. That makes sense now. Theres so many pumps out there hard to choose. Looking for a good bang for the buck 2 speed for a 150 canister AGP.
Suggestions anyone?

I just upgraded from single-speed to 1HP 2-speed Hayward SP15922S (Powerflow Matrix). My initial restriction was that I wanted to stay at 115V. Besides that, your base size will determine what will seamlessly replace your existing pump.

You should not need any extra cleaning power over the 1HP.

You can compare the flow rates on their performance curves at a randomly selected feet or head to get a comparison.

Note that they play games with the Service Factor too ... 1 HP with a 1.5 SF is identical to a 1.5HP with a 1.0 SF ... but the prices might be different because "bigger is better" (although not really when it comes to pumps).

You should not need any extra cleaning power over the 1HP.

You can compare the flow rates on their performance curves at a randomly selected feet or head to get a comparison.

Note that they play games with the Service Factor too ... 1 HP with a 1.5 SF is identical to a 1.5HP with a 1.0 SF ... but the prices might be different because "bigger is better" (although not really when it comes to pumps).
Good to know! Where can i find the specs to these pumps? I cant even find them on the hayward site. Where did you find your numbers?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where did I get what numbers? The HP and SF were just examples that I know are used on some motors.

Here are the Matrix specs:
Power-Flo Matrix | Pumps | Above Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products
Jblizzle, thanks for all your help! Its really appreciated. I have checked your posted link to the specs which i have looked at before and i still cant find anything useful there. Its hard to believe they dont list more detailed specs on the company's website. How are we supposed to know what we are buying if they dont list details of what they are selling?

I was looking for high and low numbers.... rpms low and high.... watts low and high.
Do they not disclose this info?

My reason for going bigger is if i do have a chemical mess up , i think itll be fixed faster with turning the pool over quicker. Only when needed.
Also curious to see what the low speeds put out for watts and gpm to make my decision on whether its worth the extra money based on those numbers as well.
The performance numbers are at the bottom. Looks like the 1.5hp moves a little more water than the 1hp at the same feet of head. But I would not think you would need it.

The very minimal difference between the high speed flow rates will not make any difference for chemical mixing.

Low speed RPM is exactly half of high speed RPM and will move half the amount of water for 1/4 the amount of electricity

The very minimal difference between the high speed flow rates will not make any difference for chemical mixing.

Low speed RPM is exactly half of high speed RPM and will move half the amount of water for 1/4 the amount of electricity
Great. I didnt know that was a standard.
I thought u saw somewhere that the efficiency of some motors compared to others with the same flow rate had used more power rendering it not as efficient.
And not really for mixing as much as for filtering out things like cloudy water or algae. Im still learning the water chemistry and while i am, id like to have every tool possible that can help recover as quickly as possible.

The amount of power used is directly related to the amount of water moved. The same HP*SF motor could be on 2 different pump designs and consume different amounts of power. Constant speed motors are a little weird to think about.

The filter actually works better at lower flow rates as debris is less likely to be pushed through the filter media.

The amount of power used is directly related to the amount of water moved. The same HP*SF motor could be on 2 different pump designs and consume different amounts of power. Constant speed motors are a little weird to think about.

The filter actually works better at lower flow rates as debris is less likely to be pushed through the filter media.
Interesting. Thank you so much for all the help. Im going to order that 1 hp pump you recommended after i verify if i have 110 or 220. Does that motor work for both? It states 110v so im guessing it doesnt. I was about to also give up on my cartridge filter for a sand filter as well. I think ill just try the pump first and see what happens.

All the Powerflo Matrix appear to be 110V (as are most all AG pumps I think).

If you are having issues with cloudy or green water, that is not a filter problem. That is a chemistry problem.
The filter you have should be a good size for your location (season length) and pool volume.
If you keep the FC above the minimum for your CYA (see the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]) at all times, you should not see a problem with the water and may only need to clean the filter 1-2 times per season.

All the Powerflo Matrix appear to be 110V (as are most all AG pumps I think).

If you are having issues with cloudy or green water, that is not a filter problem. That is a chemistry problem.
The filter you have should be a good size for your location (season length) and pool volume.
If you keep the FC above the minimum for your CYA (see the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]) at all times, you should not see a problem with the water and may only need to clean the filter 1-2 times per season.
Thanks man. I ordered the 1 hp 2 speed hayward pump. Im really liking it. Super quiet too. And just my luck out of no where the filter body o ring expended and now need a new one :(
I tired boiling it to shrink it back but no luck. Thanks again for your help. Im going to have to study the chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.