Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi All,

I have a Hayward OmniPL w/ TCELLS340 that is ~3 months old. The OmniLogic app on my phone shows an alarm "CHLOR Too Low Salt Chlorinator1". The system diagnostic is saying the instant salt and average salt is 2078 ppm and 2329 ppm, respectively. I tested the salt level with my TF-PRO Salt kit and the reading is 2800 ppm. It appears that the low salt alarm is causing the chlorination to stop as the cell current is 0 A the majority of the time that the chlorinator is enabled. A few questions:

1. Does the low salt alarm cause the system to stop chlorinating?
2. Is there a way to calibrate the salt concentration in the Omni system so that it coincides with my TF-PRO Salt test?
3. If no to 2 above, then I assume the only solution is to add enough salt so that the Omni system reads a higher salt concentration and removes the low salt alarm. Is this correct? My concern with this is that it appears the Omni system is reading ~500 to ~700 ppm lower than actual salt levels so I'll just need to stay on top of ensuring my actual salt levels max out ~3500 ppm.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I have a Hayward OmniPL w/ TCELLS340 that is ~3 months old. The OmniLogic app on my phone shows an alarm "CHLOR Too Low Salt Chlorinator1". The system diagnostic is saying the instant salt and average salt is 2078 ppm and 2329 ppm, respectively. I tested the salt level with my TF-PRO Salt kit and the reading is 2800 ppm.
2800 ppm actual salt is on the edge of where the cell will operate.

Each 40 lb bag of salt will raise your salt by 300ppm.

Set your chlorinator output to 0%, then add one bag of salt, let your pump run for at least 24 hours to dissolve the salt, test the salinty, turn on your SWG, and see if it generates.

If it still reads low salt then add another bag of salt the same way.

If it still reads low salt with your actual salt being around 3500 ppm then make a warranty claim.

1. Does the low salt alarm cause the system to stop chlorinating?
Yes.
2. Is there a way to calibrate the salt concentration in the Omni system so that it coincides with my TF-PRO Salt test?
No.
3. If no to 2 above, then I assume the only solution is to add enough salt so that the Omni system reads a higher salt concentration and removes the low salt alarm. Is this correct? My concern with this is that it appears the Omni system is reading ~500 to ~700 ppm lower than actual salt levels so I'll just need to stay on top of ensuring my actual salt levels max out ~3500 ppm.
Make a warranty claim if it continues to do that.

Do not exceed 3600ppm actual salt level.

2800 ppm actual salt is on the edge of where the cell will operate.

Each 40 lb bag of salt will raise your salt by 300ppm.

Set your chlorinator output to 0%, then add one bag of salt, let your pump run for at least 24 hours to dissolve the salt, test the salinty, turn on your SWG, and see if it generates.

If it still reads low salt then add another bag of salt the same way.

If it still reads low salt with your actual salt being around 3500 ppm then make a warranty claim.

Yes.

No.

Make a warranty claim if it continues to do that.

Do not exceed 3600ppm actual salt level.
Thanks for the information! I'll follow accordingly!

The system diagnostic is saying the instant salt and average salt is 2078 ppm and 2329 ppm
That's a pretty big difference for a new cell.

That's a difference of 251 ppm, which is not huge, but most new cells are +/- about 100 ppm in both polarities.

Is the cell horizontal?

If yes, try putting the hump down.

Try increasing the flow some to see if the salinity increases.

Check the salinity in both polarities.

Also, different methods of testing can give different results.

You should never consider any test to be perfectly accurate.

For salinity, you really need several different independent tests that are in agreement before feeling confident that you know "approximately" what the salinity is.

I would want a conductivity test to verify what that shows.

The system diagnostic is saying the instant salt and average salt is 2078 ppm and 2329 ppm, respectively. I tested the salt level with my TF-PRO Salt kit and the reading is 2800 ppm.
The actual salinity might be 2,565 ppm, which is halfway between the average salinity reading and the salt kit, which is within the tolerances of the tests.

I really do not believe any salinity test until I get at least two, and preferably three, readings from different tests that are close.

The actual salinity might be 2,565 ppm, which is halfway between the average salinity reading and the salt kit, which is within the tolerances of the tests.

I really do not believe any salinity test until I get at least two, and preferably three, readings from different tests that are close.
Thank you James, I appreciate the info!

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.