Low Salt Level - how bad is this

gigempools

Oct 5, 2020
Flower Mound, TX
Hello, I just recently converted to a salt pool. I had a salt cell installed (Jandy Pro Series TruClear). I initially put in 6 bags of salt. The salt cell was set to 100%. After 3 days I tested my chemicals and the Chlorine was a little high and my salt level was around 2100. I then reduced my salt cell to 50% and added 1 bag of salt. My chlorine level in normal now and the salt level is showing 2200. The pool is looking great still. How important is it that I get my salt level up to the recommended 3000-3400 level?

My cell won’t produce chlorine if salt level is too low - below 2400 I think. Other than that, I don’t know the harm, but why risk it? Salt is cheap.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Hello, I just recently converted to a salt pool. I had a salt cell installed (Jandy Pro Series TruClear). I initially put in 6 bags of salt. The salt cell was set to 100%. After 3 days I tested my chemicals and the Chlorine was a little high and my salt level was around 2100. I then reduced my salt cell to 50% and added 1 bag of salt. My chlorine level in normal now and the salt level is showing 2200. The pool is looking great still. How important is it that I get my salt level up to the recommended 3000-3400 level?
Are you sure the chlorine is high? Would be pretty hard for chlorine to be too high after only 3 days with a salt water chlorine generator. Make sure you follow the CYA/FC chart for the right level to make sure the water is sanitary. Here’s the chart: Chlorine / CYA Chart

The manual for your cell is pretty clear. "Low salt concentration below 2,500 ppm will cause premature cell failure." Reading the book is a good idea, especially for something this expensive. The advice about getting a proper test kit is excellent. Salt sensors are far from perfect. If you adjust salt based on a false low reading, the result is too much salt. The only way to reduce it is to partially drain and replace.

Last edited:
Reactions: SR56
I tested at my local Leslie Pool and I have a ORAPXI tester. Sounds like at a minimum it could result in the salt cell premature failure so it would be best that I go ahead and get it up to the correct level. Thanks everyone for the advice. Cheers!
My point on how you're testing is you don't know the precise level currently, and won't know what you've added. I highly suggest investing in the K-1766. It'll last many many seasons and serve you well.

There's numerous stories of people who trusted either pool store, cell reading, or digital testing and ended up adding too much salt, where the only solution is time and money (draining.)

Reactions: SR56
My point on how you're testing is you don't know the precise level currently, and won't know what you've added. I highly suggest investing in the K-1766. It'll last many many seasons and serve you well.

There's numerous stories of people who trusted either pool store, cell reading, or digital testing and ended up adding too much salt, where the only solution is time and money (draining.)
Gotcha, I will order one now. Thank You!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.