Jackson, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
New SWG Pentair IChlor-30 in my 20,000 gal. pool. Everything has been fine up until now, but unit suddenly shut down due to low salt (flashing red light indicates <2000 ppm salt level). Did a complete analysis two days ago and everything seemed fine:
pH 7.5
FC 6.5
CYA 65
Total alkalinity 90
Salt cell running at 60% setting
The only change I made was to add CYA to bump the level up a bit. There has been no serious rain, no draining and the waterl level has been steady. I checked with strips (Taylor test kit on order from TFTestkits) and got 2750 ppm salt. Cell should still operate at that level, but it is not. Any hints or suggestions? Next step is to add salt, I suppose, but want to be sure I am not missing something.

Also need to add that installers wired the power supply so that it does not shut down when pump goes off (i.e., it remains powered, but cell stops producing due to no flow). Is this a potential problem/cause of the malfunction?

Jersey,

The flow switch assembly has two parts.. One is the flow switch itself and the other is a thermistor that helps the cell determine the salt level.

If your actual salt level is 2750, but the cell is reporting less than 2000, then you should file a warranty claim and have Pentair come out and fix it.

Keep in mind the the salt level reading only has an accuracy of +/- 500 ppm..

Why are you running your salt level so low?

Relying on just the flow switch is like driving around with your air bags off.. Not a problem until there is... Salt cells should have two safety devices.. The Primary device is that the cell gets no power when the pump is not running.. The Secondary device is your Flow switch.. Running with just the flow switch is not something we recommend. If the switch fails in the on position, and the pump is off, the cell can explode. Granted, it does not happen often, but it does and has happened..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim. Installer charged the salt to pool and i did not check it while awaiting my Taylor test kit. Green light indicated acceptable salt level until yesterday, although they may have shorted the charge by a bit. I would not be surprised. Good chance sensor is malfunctioning, so I will pursue warranty action.
As to flow switch, I have contacted electrician to rewire the power supply to the pump timer. Safety first.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.