low pump run time

May 20, 2008
Waldorf, MD
According to the specs, my pump can turn over my pool water every 6 hours. For 14 years I ran my pump 6 hours a day.

I started bumping that down to 5 hours and now to 4 hours.

My water is crystal clear running the pump 4 hours a day.

at 4 hours I am filtering 14,400 of my 23,000 gallons a day.

Is there anything wrong with doing this?
Is anyone else running their pump just a few hours a day?

We to not put any merit into achieving 1 or more turn overs.

We have found that most pools only need 2-4 hours of pump run time to sufficient mix the chemistry. Any more than that is just for SWG FC production, heating, or desire for more filtration time.

JB,
What is your pump run time for your SWG? I only have 3K more gallons of water than you. I see your cell produces about 1.40 lbs of CL a day, and my unit does 1.28 lbs. a day (running 24 hrs.) I'm in the process of putting in a 1hp pump motor and getting rid of my tired 2HP. Thanks

JB,
What is your pump run time for your SWG? I only have 3K more gallons of water than you. I see your cell produces about 1.40 lbs of CL a day, and my unit does 1.28 lbs. a day (running 24 hrs.) I'm in the process of putting in a 1hp pump motor and getting rid of my tired 2HP. Thanks

Cell died, so do not fully recall. Think I remember about 9 hours at 60%?

Yeah I can't see me and the missus becoming jug luggers, btw how long did you get out of your cell?
~3.5 years in sunny Tucson, AZ. Should have lasted longer, but my CH climbed due to evaporation and I did not keep the pH in check as much as I should have (especially over the winter). So was having scaling problems and I think I got too aggressive with the acid cleaning which shortened the life.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.