low pump pressure

techman65

Dec 12, 2013
Augusta, GA
I am consistently getting low pressure readings on my pool pump (usually in the 3-5 PSI range) I have checked the impeller and it is not clogged. Skimmer and pump basket are both clear. I am wondering if it might be the gauge. I know it is at least 8 years old. Anything else I should check before trying a new gauge? Thanks.

Is your pump a two speed pump? Running on low speed results in lower filter pressure.

If not, low filter pressure is generally a blockage on the suction side of the pump. It sounds like you checked those items so it could be the gauge. Does it go to zero when the pump is off? If you tap on it, does the needle move?

Is your pump a two speed pump? Running on low speed results in lower filter pressure.

If not, low filter pressure is generally a blockage on the suction side of the pump. It sounds like you checked those items so it could be the gauge. Does it go to zero when the pump is off? If you tap on it, does the needle move?
It's a single speed pump.

Just checked and the pressure does not go to zero when pump is off and if I tap it, the needle does not move. Good indicator that the gauge is shot?

Thanks! Should I be able to get one locally that's affordable or better to order one online? Looked at the big pool store and theirs are ridiculously overpriced, but am wondering if Lowe's or Home Depot may have options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.