low pump pressure

garygaugler

Silver Supporter
Feb 13, 2019
Arizona
Hi:

I have a hayward 1 hp northstart pump... with a A & A infloor cleaning system... 6 zones.. until recently.. pump pressure was 18 to 22 psi.. it flucuated as it went through the different zones. now it is 8 to 10 psi..this is what I have checked so far...

I replaced 5 pop up cleaning heads... no change

I replaced the pressure gauge.. no change

I use a screwdriver to clean out the impeller through the pump basket access .. clean.. no change..

No obvious leaks on the suction side.. no sure about the best method to check this

resiliconed the o rings on leaf catcher sump and pump basket cover..

any ideas on what is causing my low pump pressure... thanks,

So texas splash... are you saying that low water pressure is usually caused by an obstuction in the suction line? I have cleaned out the impeller from the front, after removing the basket and trying to feel and drag out any obstructions... i can't feel anything but I can't see in impeller eaither... I suppose I could pull the motor out and visually check the impeller to be absolutely sure..any other ideas on what could be obstuctioning the flow... It does have a shasta quick flow on it.. I don t really understand how that works... but I suppose something could have been dropped down it... as it is connected to the suction side of pump... underground and about 15 ft. away.. Is there a certain protocol to follow when a system has low pressure..? Or what are the most common causes of low pressure? Everything is working fine.. except pool is little cloudy... I did clean the cartridge filter last week..pop ups are working fine.. new pressure gage.. pump o rings seems good..
pressure was over 20 for years.. now 8-10#... something changed...

thanks for your experience ahead of time

Based on everything you said & did in post #1, I leaned towards a partial obstruction on the suction side. I say this because by blocking water flow to the pump, there is less flow and pressure to the gauge. A clogged impeller might also display the same effects, but it sounds as if you ruled that out. You could try placing a garden hose into the pump basket facing the water inlet and push water "backwards" towards the pool skimmer. See if there is noticeable water flow. Last, check your skimmer weir door/flap to ensure it's operating properly and not closed for some reason.

The only other thing I can thing of that would cause a low water flow/pressure scenario would be an leak/opening on the pressure side because there is less restriction. But I would suspect you'd see that by now. The only thing I can't confirm is any potential effects from that cleaning system. For that I'd have to ring the assistance of some other folks here.

Hearing you say the water is getting cloudy is a different concern - algae. I don't want to get off track on this thread for that issue, but if the cloudiness continues today, you might consider starting another thread under the algae prevention sub-forum so we can keep that discussion about water chemistry separate. Keep this one focused on your pressure and stuff.

well I think im ok now... I used the water hose to blow water backwards and most of dislodged something... when system was new.. I had a high of 22#... now I can get up to #18... pool is 11 years old...so im thinking that is somewhat normal , considering the age of system.. thanks for your help..

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.