20kInground

Apr 28, 2019
Washington
Hello,

I have an in-ground 20K pool with a single skimmer (Pentair admiral S15/20), single main drain, and four return jets. My filter system is a Hayward quad cartridge filter tank running C-410’s (1). My pump is a Hayward Max-Flow with Emerson 1081 1.5 HP motor.

I have owned this pool since 2016 (my first), but the pool/system is 20-22 years old. I’m having issues with apparent low flow of water back to the pump. With just the skimmer line open my WaterGuru readings for flow rate have ranged between 5-8gpm. With both the skimmer and main drain lines open my WaterGuru reads a flow rate of 1pgm to undetectable. I don’t have a way to measure flow rate with just the main drain line open. My cartridge tank pressure is 10psi with just the skimmer line open, is around 13psi with both the skimmer and main drain lines open, and goes back to 10psi when just the main drain line is open.

When I plug a pool hose directly into my skimmer line there isn’t enough pressure to vacuum in order to clean the pool using the pool’s pump system. I have a Dolphin Nautilus pool cleaner to assist with pool maintenance to get me by. I was concerned about a potential clog in the skimmer line so I ran a pipe camera 90ft down the skimmer line from the pump end and didn’t observe any blockages. I did not attempt to run the camera down the main line.

My ideal state would be enough flow of water back to the pump that I can have both the skimmer and main drains open to have good circulation for water filtration and to maintain water temperature (our heat pump pool heater is currently non-operational and we are waiting to replace it until we resolve our low flow issues, I’m concerned such low flow from the pump will make heating the pool inefficient).

So some questions I have, what gpm flow rate should I be expecting from a Hayward Max-Flow with a 1.5 HP motor given my set-up, my pipes are 2in. If the pump needs to be replaced I’m ok with that, I just wanted to make sure there isn’t something else I should also be considering as going on that could be causing the low flow.

I appreciate everyone’s insights, I’m very out of my depth. :paddle:

(1) (https://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Fil...pd_rd_i=B00JZQPU1E&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_5_t)

20220910_181023.jpgSystem.jpgPump.jpgSkim-Main.jpgSkim.jpg

Attachments

• 1662863990895.png
    1662863990895.png
    226 bytes · Views: 2

Tell me if this is a constant issue or if your system works after you clean the filter for a few days and then has week flow.

I would not get all wrapped about your Guru thing, as 10 PSI is about what I'd expect from a 1.5 HP single speed pump and with a large cartridge filter.

How does the water "feel" returning to the pool? Does it feel weak or strong?

My two suggestions would be...

I. Make sure that there no debris in the pump impeller. With the power off, you should be able to feel inside the impeller area and make sure that you can turn the impeller with your finger and confirm there is no debris.

2. Take the cartridges out and see what the flow feels like. If you have been using any kind of Phosphate remover or clarifier, they can quickly clog the filters.

When was the last time you cleaned or replaced your cartridges? How old are they?

When the pump is running, is the pump basket full or not?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.