Low Pressure and Water Loss

Mar 25, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've cared for my in-ground pool for the last 10 years thanks to TroubleFreePool. Lately it seems we need to add water more frequently, at least once a week. I've also had to add CYA three times this year. A week ago today I added granular CYA thinking maybe it would last longer. I added the CYA to the skimmer as directed by the instructions two nights in a row. I ran the filter 24 hours for 2-3 days.

Within a few days I noticed that my Barracuda ran slower and there seemed to be more air under the pump filter lid. I opened the filter lid and put it back on hoping to get it tighter and it helped a little bit then slowed down again. I repeated this twice with the same result. A few days later, yesterday, we noticed the barracuda started slowing down to a stop and the pressure is now down to 5. We backwashed and the flow of water coming out was a lot slower than usual. This didn't solve the issue. We went through the steps recommended under the section "Suction Side Air Leaks" and do not believe we found the issue. We do see bubbles under the filter lid so I still feel that could be it but we didn't see a change when we ran water on the lid. We then did the bucket test but it's only been 20 hours. As of right now the difference between the inside of the bucket water loss and the outside pool water level is ½". We then read the section "Leak Detection". Can someone please explain how I "Plug all the inlets and outlets (returns, skimmers, drains, cleaner lines)"?

Thank you in advance,

BTW we are in Phoenix Arizona where is was about 90 today

1/2” of evaporation this time of year is still possible. Phoenix is pretty dry and windy right now and you all are still a lot warmer. Tucson has cooled off quite a bit and we’ve gotten a lot of unseasonable rain fall.

You can buy the plugs recommended above and see if it helps to isolate any potential leak. If you can still get into the pool water, you can try to do some food dye testing around the skimmer, with the pump off, where the edge of the skimmer meets the tile and shell.

How old is the pool? There aren’t many deep diving pools built in AZ these days.

Reactions: lovemy3azboys
1/2” of evaporation this time of year is still possible. Phoenix is pretty dry and windy right now and you all are still a lot warmer. Tucson has cooled off quite a bit and we’ve gotten a lot of unseasonable rain fall.

You can buy the plugs recommended above and see if it helps to isolate any potential leak. If you can still get into the pool water, you can try to do some food dye testing around the skimmer, with the pump off, where the edge of the skimmer meets the tile and shell.

How old is the pool? There aren’t many deep diving pools built in AZ these days.
The house was built in the 1970's, not sure when pool was built. We redid the plaster about 7 years ago and added another line for the barracuda rather than having it in the skimmer

About the water loss. The differences between the water loss in the bucket and the water loss in the pool was 1/2". If I lost more water in the pool than in the bucket, doesn't that mean we have a leak?

About the water loss. The differences between the water loss in the bucket and the water loss in the pool was 1/2". If I lost more water in the pool than in the bucket, doesn't that mean we have a leak?

Oh, I thought you meant you lost 1/2” … sorry, I read that wrong.

Yeah, 1/2” difference is definitely not a good sign. Since you said you had the pressure line added, I would do some dye testing around that fitting. The skimmer as well since it’s an old pool.

The only other option is to call in American Leak Detection to look for it. They are not cheap though … $500 at least whether or not they find anything.

Reactions: lovemy3azboys
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.