Low CYA

Jcsmith9

Feb 24, 2022
Birmingham/Alabama
Hey guys,

My FC and TC is 2.6, total alkalinity is 114, PH 7.8 but my CYA is 1. What do I need to increase this? Fixing to leave for the beach here Saturday and trying to get it up before heading out. I have 3 inch chlorinating tablets from Walmart I could drop in the skimmer. Will that increase it? Any suggestions?

How are you testing to get 1 ppm? The primary test with the Taylor kit is useless below 30ppm.

As far as using Trichlor to raise CYA and add FC, sure. Go for it. That is a good way to increase CYA. Just be careful not to over do it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So this is ok to use to raise the CYA? I don’t need to go to the pool store and spend $100 buying “conditioner” correct?
It will add chlorine and CYA/stabilizer/conditioner (all terms for the same thing). If you want to add just CYA, you can buy dry CYA online and add via the sock method.

So this is ok to use to raise the CYA? I don’t need to go to the pool store and spend $100 buying “conditioner” correct?
You need to turn off the SWG while using it. You CAN use it.

ME? I would buy dry stabilizer from Amazon or Home Depot and get the level up. Mostly, I would keep the FC up while you wait for the proper test kit.
Use the tablets when you know what the level is. But a few tablets is not going to hurt the pool.
If you are really at 1 ppm CYA, you will need to use about 41 tablets to get to the recommended CYA level of 70 ppm.
My first year (2019) TRYING the TFP method, I decided to do this and I overshot the CYA AGAIN!!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: TexEdmond
leave for the beach here Saturday and trying to get it up before heading out. I have 3 inch chlorinating tablets from Walmart I could drop in the skimmer

Tabs in the skimmer can be harmful to your pool pump if you're not running the pump 24/7. Also it's not realistic to get 60ppm of CYA into the pool using tabs alone so you can start utilizing your SWG. Your options look like:

1.) Get a couple tab floaters, fill 'em up and cross your fingers they'll keep algae from growing while you're gone.
2.) Use dry stabilizer to get to 30ppm or so, raise your pool to SLAM with liquid chlorine and do the tab floater thing (safer & faster option)
3.) Use dry stabilizer to get to 60ppm and let your SWG take over for the weekend. Do a couple tabs in a floater for extra insurance.

For what you did, the filter needed to be on filter mode. That way the particulates are captured in the filter and will eventually, mostly, dissolve.

In the future use the sock method to add CYA.

You'll need to avoid backwashing for a time so you don't lose the CYA that is in the sand filter. A few days to a week.

Another question. How soon to test after adding? I’m about to head out of town for a week at the beach. Do you recommend
For what you did, the filter needed to be on filter mode. That way the particulates are captured in the filter and will eventually, mostly, dissolve.

In the future use the sock method to add CYA.
I had to add water to the pool due to evaporation. Has not rained here since May 1st. Was it ok to do that after adding the CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.