Low Cya and high Fc

Stick with it. Any progress is a good thing. Maintain the FC level, do the normal brushing, and inspect any/all potential hiding areas for algae. The chlorine will do the rest.

full
Thanks for the encouragement. With a full weekend of softball and baseball tournaments i am scrambling to get back to test. With a 6 month old on top of that. Very stressful. Luckily the 2 older kids have canp all week starting tomorrow afternoon so I can just focus on slamming.

Reactions: Snoobug
The overnight test passed the fc and cc but the water is still cloudy. I plan on keeping the slam going today because i will not be around as much to test.

Should I add DE to the sand filter? Let it filter for another day or 2? Pressure hasn't risen at all on the filter so I don't believe i need to backwash. What should my next step be?

The overnight test passed the fc and cc but the water is still cloudy. I plan on keeping the slam going today because i will not be around as much to test.

Should I add DE to the sand filter? Let it filter for another day or 2? Pressure hasn't risen at all on the filter so I don't believe i need to backwash. What should my next step be?
Yes- Keep with the SLAM Process until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria - including crystal clear water.
For the DE here’s the how to 👇
You need to be available after adding de because the pressure can rise quite quickly as it catches the little stuff.

Reactions: tyrelrobert
As far as your sand filter goes - have u ever done a deep cleaning of it? If not, u may want to give that a go. The sand can get channeled or clumpy & lead to poor filtering. Especially if various pool store potions have been used in the past. It’s something that should be done every season or so.
Here’s the guide for that 👇

Btw - u mentioned you suspected mustard algae, it typically grows on the walls in shaded areas.
Regular algae can appear brown/yellow/orange as well.
To treat Mustard Algae you First complete the slam process- then, after passing ALL 3 end of slam criteria you raise fc to mustard algae slam level for your cya for 24hrs & follow this protocol 👇
This is fairly simple to do at the end of the the slam since fc is already elevated & provides some peace of mind if u suspect MA.

As far as your sand filter goes - have u ever done a deep cleaning of it? If not, u may want to give that a go. The sand can get channeled or clumpy & lead to poor filtering. Especially if various pool store potions have been used in the past. It’s something that should be done every season or so.
Here’s the guide for that 👇

Btw - u mentioned you suspected mustard algae, it typically grows on the walls in shaded areas.
Regular algae can appear brown/yellow/orange as well.
To treat Mustard Algae you First complete the slam process- then, after passing ALL 3 end of slam criteria you raise fc to mustard algae slam level for your cya for 24hrs & follow this protocol 👇
This is fairly simple to do at the end of the the slam since fc is already elevated & provides some peace of mind if u suspect MA.
We bought the house last year and the previous owner replaced the sand early last year. I will be home all week so I can take a look at it if needed.

When raising fc to mustard algae level would it be wise to stay out of the pool for the day? Kids will be gone all week so i don't need to worry about them but I have been itching for my morning swims. Lol

Thanks for the help

Swimming at MA levels is not recommended (or very good on the bathing suit 👙) especially w/ kiddos.
That said, i had raised my pool to MA shock level at night, I didn’t tell anyone because I didn’t expect swimmers.
My husband apparently got too hot in the hot tub & next thing I knew he was in the pool! He never said a word & he has very sensitive / itchy/ rash prone skin!
When he got out he showered obviously & i rinsed his suit well. his current psoriasis/eczema issues were quite cleared up the following day. #bleachbath 🤣

• Haha
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.