Loud pump/motor noise: could I have installed the seal incorrectly?

bill333

Dec 24, 2022
Northeast
My spa pump (Challenger with a 2 speed AO Smith/Century motor B2984) was leaking. I’m not sure how long it was leaking--we haven’t used the spa in years, and the pump is in a crawlspace. There was a small amount of calcium/mineral buildup, but nothing that looked too bad. The pump runs 24/7 at low speed.

I replaced the seal, which completely stopped the leak. However, the pump is running really loud. It sounds like it is coming from the middle of the motor, but I can’t really tell. I wouldn’t describe it as a hard grinding (it's more like a whine). There is no difference in the sound (other than it being louder) on the higher speed. When I removed the impeller to change the seal I didn’t notice any binding. The shaft had no rust on it. If I remove the motor end cap over the wiring I can turn the shaft by hand, although with the centrifugal switch in the way I can’t really spin it.

I know it is hard to diagnose bearing problems from sound alone (I could post an audio recording) but is there any chance I got a bad seal or installed it incorrectly? I’ve done it a few times and kept good notes (and used the same type of seal as the last time), so I’m 99% sure I did the install correctly, and assume it would leak if I didn’t (?). I checked the very helpful responses on a prior post about a possible disturbance of the V shaped connection/centrifugal switch, but this all looks okay and the contact opens when the motor is running.

It’s so hard to work in the crawlspace that I don’t want to get in there multiple times unless I have to. I’ve been running the pump a half hour at a time twice a day to get us through this cold spell so the water doesn’t freeze in the spa. The motor does not get in the least bit hot nor does the sound change.

Unfortunately no one around replaces bearings, so if it is the bearings I’ll have to learn how to do the job, but I don’t want to go through all that (getting the motor out is a pain given the location) in case it’s something else.

My spa pump (Challenger with a 2 speed AO Smith/Century motor B2984) was leaking. I’m not sure how long it was leaking--we haven’t used the spa in years, and the pump is in a crawlspace. There was a small amount of calcium/mineral buildup, but nothing that looked too bad. The pump runs 24/7 at low speed.

I replaced the seal, which completely stopped the leak. However, the pump is running really loud. It sounds like it is coming from the middle of the motor, but I can’t really tell. I wouldn’t describe it as a hard grinding (it's more like a whine). There is no difference in the sound (other than it being louder) on the higher speed. When I removed the impeller to change the seal I didn’t notice any binding. The shaft had no rust on it. If I remove the motor end cap over the wiring I can turn the shaft by hand, although with the centrifugal switch in the way I can’t really spin it.

I know it is hard to diagnose bearing problems from sound alone (I could post an audio recording) but is there any chance I got a bad seal or installed it incorrectly? I’ve done it a few times and kept good notes (and used the same type of seal as the last time), so I’m 99% sure I did the install correctly, and assume it would leak if I didn’t (?). I checked the very helpful responses on a prior post about a possible disturbance of the V shaped connection/centrifugal switch, but this all looks okay and the contact opens when the motor is running.

It’s so hard to work in the crawlspace that I don’t want to get in there multiple times unless I have to. I’ve been running the pump a half hour at a time twice a day to get us through this cold spell so the water doesn’t freeze in the spa. The motor does not get in the least bit hot nor does the sound change.

Unfortunately no one around replaces bearings, so if it is the bearings I’ll have to learn how to do the job, but I don’t want to go through all that (getting the motor out is a pain given the location) in case it’s something else.
Seal won't cause noise. A seal leak will cause the bearings t go bad and that is, most likely, the issue. Not sure who you have asked to do the job, but any good motor shop can do it, but you'll have to remove the motor and take it too them. Not likely going to get a service willing to go into a crawlspace to do the job even if they do bearing replacements.

Thanks. I know I'll have to take them the motor, but there are no motor shops within an hour of me that I could find (actually, I haven't found any). I was hoping it was the seal, that's a much easier job and I don't have to deal with taking the motor apart.
Any suggestion for a good source of the bearings? I was hoping to have them in hand before pulling the motor off, since I may need to run the pump when it gets really cold and I don't want it unavailable while I wait for bearings. I checked inyopools, but their cross reference doesn't list this motor.

Thanks. I know I'll have to take them the motor, but there are no motor shops within an hour of me that I could find (actually, I haven't found any). I was hoping it was the seal, that's a much easier job and I don't have to deal with taking the motor apart.
Any suggestion for a good source of the bearings? I was hoping to have them in hand before pulling the motor off, since I may need to run the pump when it gets really cold and I don't want it unavailable while I wait for bearings. I checked inyopools, but their cross reference doesn't list this motor.
That motor likely uses a 6204 bearing on the front and a 6203 on the rear of the shaft. Wouldn't hurt to get 2 of the 6203 and return one if not needed, they're not that expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.