Lost my sparkle

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
My water is not sparkling like I am used too, and I don't know why. My numbers are real good as of this morning. We are using it more than usual this year because of great pool weather. I'm thinking about adding some DE for the first time, and my question is do I just add it dry to the skimmer and if yes, on high or low speed on the pump. My wife says it's fine, but she don't know TFP!!!!!

Test as of 8am this morning:
FC-7.5
CC-0
PH-7.6
TA-60
CYA-70
CH-Did not check, never been an issue for me.
Water temp-85

I'd add the DE on high, just because I do that with my one-speed pump. Just pour it in the skimmer and swirl it around with your hand to get all the powder that's clinging to the walls off. You're not adding so much that you need to mess around making a slurry.

I suggest you give the pool a good brushing. Seems when my pool gets cloudy, it's from all the dust I've been negligent about brushing off the walls getting stirred up by swimmers.

My water is not sparkling like I am used too, and I don't know why. My numbers are real good as of this morning. We are using it more than usual this year because of great pool weather. I'm thinking about adding some DE for the first time, and my question is do I just add it dry to the skimmer and if yes, on high or low speed on the pump. My wife says it's fine, but she don't know TFP!!!!!

Test as of 8am this morning:
FC-7.5
CC-0
PH-7.6
TA-60
CYA-70
CH-Did not check, never been an issue for me.
Water temp-85

Hi Ky
I am trying to get my pool to sparkle a bit as it often does in pictures of other people's pools.
You mention adding DE, which is diatomacious earth, right? I have a cartridge filter, so it doesn't make sense for me. But one of the replies mention to add it to the skimmer. Will that work in my case?

Hi Ky
I am trying to get my pool to sparkle a bit as it often does in pictures of other people's pools.
You mention adding DE, which is diatomacious earth, right? I have a cartridge filter, so it doesn't make sense for me. But one of the replies mention to add it to the skimmer. Will that work in my case?
Most likely, all that will happen if you add DE to the cartridge filter is that pressure will rise and flow will decrease. The cartridge filter is already almost as fine as DE. It's the sand filters that have the coarse filtration and benefit from the DE. Concentrate more on brushing the walls and floor and maintaining pH and FC for a week or so and see if that doesn't restore the sparkle.

. Concentrate more on brushing the walls and floor and maintaining pH and FC for a week or so and see if that doesn't restore the sparkle.

Thank you Richard. Ph can fall within a range, as with most tests, so I ask you what I should strive for ph-wise?

7's. Unless you have very high TA and / or CH that creates a scaling tendency, no need to worry where in the 7's.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.